Grail coin acquired

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Just received this today and I am thrilled to add it to my collection. While this mis listed as a common coin I would probably call it scarce. However that does not mean that they appear on the open market very often. When they do appear they command a high price. This is because of the historical events associated with this coin.

What is so special about yet another denarius of Vespasian? Take a look at the reverse. You will see Judea with hands bound with a palm tree. Fairly common IVDEA CAPTA type right? Nope. The reverse legend is the rather strong statement: IVDEA DEVICTA.

Here is another interesting fact, this coin was not struck in Rome like the very common RIC 2 we have all seen before with Judea and the trophy of arms besides. This coin was only struck in Lyon (Lugdunum). As a provincial issue I think the message is fairly clear: do not mess with the power of Rome or else. Minted early in Vespasian's reign I believe this coin was both a way of trumpeting a significant victory to the populous of Rome and the provinces ( a propaganda piece), and a not so subtle warning.

There is another interesting fact concerning this issue. Many of them are fourees. The reason is unknown though @David Atherton has a theory about this. I will let him explain if he so chooses. When I ordered this coin it looked solid and I am happy to report that mine is not a fouree.

Look at this grumpy portrait. I love it! I am also a fan of the standing IVDEA rather than the more common seated version.

Please post your grail coins or any IVDEA CAPTA specimens

V1120 new.jpg

Vespasian AR Denarius. Lugdunum. 71 CE
    (16.5mm 3.04g)
    Obv: Head laureate right; IMP CAESAR VESPASIAVS AVG TR P.
    Rev: Palm tree; to left Judea standing left; hands bound in front ; IVDEA DEVICTA
    RIC 1120; BMC 388; RSC 243
    Purchased from INumis August 3, 2020.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Orfew:
    WOW!!!
    Great catch!!!

Orfew likes this.
  4. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Orfew......Very nice coin! Love that serious portrait!....
    Didn't know much about this type especially the standing reverse (hands bound behind?), but know I do! Thanks......Congrats and a bonus it's solid!...Paul

Orfew likes this.
  5. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I'm so happy you acquired your holy grail coin!!

My grail coin is on its way to me currently from your neck of the woods. I can't wait to get it!

6. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Congrats on the acquisition @Orfew its always great to get a grail coin. One of my most recent purchases was also a grail coin. I finally found a Carlisle mint penny of Henry III. For the longest timeall I had was a cut half penny.
    Henry III Carlisle penny.jpg

7. Orfew

@TheRed Thanks for posting that beauty! I remember that you have been talking about finding one of these for at least a couple of years. Congrats on landing that lovely rarity.

8. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Congrats Andrew!! Great coin!!

I have only pedestrian Vespasians - and still no Judea Capta - but will post them anyway. They are cheering you on. :)

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 3.41.12 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 3.41.22 PM.jpg

9. Orfew

10. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Great catch @Orfew, not an easy type to come by. I have both varieties, the solid and plated.

The Judaea Capta series was the broadest and most diverse series of coins commemorating a Roman victory issued up to that time. The series includes the kinder IVDAEA RECEPTA (Judaea was "received" into the empire), the more honest IVDAEA CAPTA and IVDAEA DEVICTA issues, DE IVDAEVS and IVDAEA, as well as epigraphic reverses. The conquest of the Jews was going to reach every corner of the Roman world and would help establish the Flavian Empire.

I would love to add some gold from this series one day.

VespDevicta.jpg

JudaeaDevicta.jpg

TheRed, DonnaML, +VGO.DVCKS and 14 others like this.
  11. Orfew

@Nemo my friend, as soon as I saw that you had left a like for my post I hoped you would post these examples. I have ogled these excellent coins a number of times in your gallery on FAC. Thanks very much for sharing them here..

Orielensis and Nemo like this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Beyond Awesome, Andrew! Congrats!

Orfew likes this.
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Excellent! Not seen one of those before. Nice catch and congratulations!

Orfew likes this.
  14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Exactly what we, collectors, are looking for our entire life : the coin everyone would overlook because it looks so common and/or worn, but we know what is special about it. Great catch

Ten years ago I was able to put my hands on what has been a dream coin for years and years.

Among the gold coins minted in the principality of Dombes (a county around where I live, and I collect coins of, but you all know that, right ?), which are all from rare to exceedingly rare, a pistole (double ecu) stands out : minted by François II de Montpensier, it was believed to be unique until a second example popped up at auction in 2006. I was outbid by far that time and thought I would have to live without it for the rest of my life. When the same specimen got auctioned again in 2010, I did what I had to do to get it. A very expensive and silly buy, but worth every cent I paid for it (and I was encouraged by my wife who realized I would probably never have another opportunity to acquire one in our entire life).

[​IMG]
    Francois II de Montpensier (1582-1592)
    Pistole, or - 1587
    - RRRR
    + FRANCIS . P . DOMBAR . D . MONTIS . M . Ecu de Bourbon couronné
    + DNS . ADIVT . ET . REDEM . MEVS . 1587 Croix feuillue
    6.30 gr - 28 mm
    Ref : Divo Dombes # 64 (unique at the date of publication), Mantellier # 37, Poey d'Avant # 5135, Friedberg # 124
    Ex collection Couchard # 64 du 27/01/2006

Q

TheRed, DonnaML, Nemo and 7 others like this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Fantastic catch, Andrew! Congrats :)

Orfew likes this.
  16. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

It's always a thrill to acquire a long-desired coin! Great catch, @Orfew !

Not rare, but it's my favorite Vespasian:

[​IMG]
    Vespasian, AD 69-79.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.18 g, 18.4 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, AD 73.
    Obv: IMP CAES VESP AVG P M COS IIII CEN, laureate head, right.
    Rev: SALVS AVG, Salus seated left, holding patera, left hand at side.
    Refs: RIC 58; RIC 2.1 522; BMCRE 87-89; Cohen/RSC 432; CBN 76; RCV 2307.

17. Orfew

Mon dieu mon ami, cette pièce est fantastique.WOW!!!!!

Cucumbor likes this.
  18. Orfew

My sincere thanks to all for the kind words.

19. Orfew

With that portrait it would be a favourite of mine as well. A coin does not have to be rare to be great. Clearly, the engraver was a person of considerable talent. Thanks for posting this one. I would like to find one like yours.

Roman Collector likes this.
  20. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin @Orfew and I learned that there is a IVDAEA DEVICTA type. Wasn't aware of this.

Roman Collector and Orfew like this.
  21. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

That's a great catch @Orfew! Congratulations!

Your question got me thinking about the coins in my collection and which of them I would consider 'grail coins'. I like all of them and many of them had been on my want-list, but a few I considered 'out of reach' coins. It was mere luck, as @Cucumbor describes it, that I was able to add some of these coins to my modest collection. Other coins I really, really enjoy, but are however are widely available and it was a matter of waiting (saving) for the necessary funds or just the right piece.

Below are two coins I consider grail pieces. Yes, they are available, but for the modest collecter like myself nevertheless difficult to obtain in an agreeable quality.
    5.2.png

30.4.png

My three absolute grail coins still elude me, however. Or, perhaps, I need a better job and generate more income :)

Draft saved Draft deleted