Graduation Day

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Sep 24, 2016.

1. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I may be a bit odd in this, but to save on paper and printing, I only create labels for my coins when I have ten ready to go in my album (My coin label file only fits 10 labels on a page, back & front are side-by-side which I then fold in half). Until that time, the coins sit in their saflip in a separate 2x2 sheet with any accompanying labels from the seller. Today however, was the day labels were printed and new coins officially added (graduated) to the collection!

image.jpeg
    Album at top left, underclass men "holding cell" lower left, and a proof copy on right. I accidentally printed that on regular paper inseam of good cardstock. But it worked out since there were a couple of errors. Most of the coins were old coins that needed new labels, but a few recent purchases made 'graduation day' necessary

image.jpeg
    Today's 'graduation' was just for medieval coins - I have a similar practice for the ancients (which get different labels), but need 4 more coins before they are ready to go. However, the medieval binder is looking good, but there is one little lady who just arrived and couldn't join this graduating class. She'll have to wait a bit longer (but she's a special one, so it'll be worth the wait...)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Nice job!

Chris

FitzNigel likes this.
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice system. I would love to see a close up photo of the Eleanor of Aquitaine.

FitzNigel likes this.
  5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice, neat system FN.

i've got a northern song 10 cash like yours...

[​IMG]

it's a little better than my picture would lead you to believe.

Mikey Zee, Alegandron and FitzNigel like this.
  6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Sadly, she's a little worse for wear, but they so rarely come available for a reasonable price, so I jumped on it. Might have paid a little too much for the condition... But I'm happy with it. She'll probably be replaced at some point. I'll post pictures when I get them uploaded.

7. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

@FitzNigel I'm going to steal your idea of the foldable labels. I'm using one sided labels and in some of them I'm struggling to find the space for provenance and notes, but your double sided foldable labels might do the trick.

Deacon Ray and FitzNigel like this.
  8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Wish I could claim it was my idea, but I found certain dealers were doing it. Seemed to make the most sense to me (aligning the paper front/back on the printer is too big a pain...)

9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

02-FAqu-Eleanor-AR-D-01.jpg
    French Feudal, Aquitaine
    Eleanor, r. 1185-1204
    AR Denier, 17.86mm x 0.8 grams
    Obv.: +DVCISIT, M above, A below, two cross pattee on either side
    Rev.: +AQVITANIE, Cross Pattee inside
    Ref.: SCBC 8011

The reverse is out of focus, but I hope to be redoing all my pictures soon (I say that, but then I go buying more coins rather than photography equipment...). This coin will get a better write-up at another time, and I'll probably upgrade in the future. But like I said above, I rarely see these come available, so I wanted to nab it.

Bing, icerain, paschka and 3 others like this.
  10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lol, thats how I do mine. I print mine in 20 each, not 10. Since I use the "fancy" paper, I will wait till the template is full then print out labels. It can be months before the labels are in the flips.

The OCD kicks in and it starts to gnaw at me but I manage.

And great Eleanor, would love to own one.

paschka, stevex6 and FitzNigel like this.
  11. fred.lombardo102

fred.lombardo102 Active Member

I know what you mean. I have a coin from Edward I, that's a bit worn bit it was all I could find at the time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

paschka and FitzNigel like this.
  12. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Nice idea and organizing. I too, make the labels folded, got the idea from some coins I bought from dealers. I can print 6 labels at a time by using Excel, maybe more if I adjust the settings but I'm not sure.

paschka and FitzNigel like this.
  13. fred.lombardo102

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

paschka, FitzNigel and Alegandron like this.
  14. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

That is a bit rough, Fred! Should be easy to upgrade though if you wanted

paschka and fred.lombardo102 like this.
  15. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I like your graduation ritual. :)

I hand write my labels because I started that way in 1983 when home computer printers were very pprimitive. I actually like the hand made look of written labels better for some reason. Maybe being in the computer business so long has turned me off from using them.

FitzNigel and Alegandron like this.
  16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I agree (but I am not in the computer business). I think I will have @Mat come over to my house to create all my labels. I like the double-side, then fold, printed labels...and he does them on good paper. :D :D :D

paschka likes this.
  17. fred.lombardo102

My collection consists of some Ancient coins, but the bulk is world coins. I have a spreadsheet that I did years ago using the catalogs from 1700 forward. Of the 900+ countries, I've got 1/3 completed.

18. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I hand write labels for my modern coins. But since I'm inputing my ancients into my computer figure may as well copy, paste, and print them in one shot.

FitzNigel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted