Grading the Whole Proof/Mint Set

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SorenCoins, Jan 4, 2022.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Hello everyone.

A thought crossed my mind that made me curious. Some people select the best coins from multiple proof or mint sets and send in only the best, but I am sure some people here have sent in an entire proof or mint set. My question pertains to any mint-sold sets from any country.

My question is: How did it go? Did all the coins in the set grade the same or was there some variation? Were you happy with the results? I am mostly wondering about modern proof and mint sets (1958-date), but any experience you have had is interesting to me!

This is more of something I was wondering about. I'm not particularly planning on doing something like this any time soon.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

They do grade "full sets" but I doubt many of the full slabbed sets in the same grade started in the same envelope :D I believe most proof sets vary enough from coin to coin that very few would be a matched set..

4. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I remember a friend sent in a 1955 Proof set earlier this year and all the coins graded between PF66 and PF68.

I think the best grade was the Washington Quarter with a PF68 and the worst grade was the Jefferson Nickel with a PF66. I also remember the Roosevelt Dime graded PF67 but I can't remember the rest.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Theres MASSIVE variation in the grades from that criteria

Draft saved Draft deleted