Grading Standards

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by centsdimes, Jul 5, 2015.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Those people also think we should go back to smoking on airplanes, and letting the grandkids ride in our laps while we drive. "Never hurt me none!"

JPeace$ likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

No, we simply feel that an EF coin should be an EF coin--regardless of what initials are on the label or when that label was printed.

4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

6th Edition (2007), p. 33: "The purpose of the Official ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins is to provide standards for grading coins. As noted throughout this text, grading interpretations have changed over the years, and they probably will continue to do so. It would be a disservice if today in the 6th edition we stated that to be MS-65 a coin had to have a fairly sharp strike, when in the real-world marketplace this is not the case. Again, such situations admit of different opinions.

Today, the market will accept the negative feature of an MS-65 coin being weakly struck. This is because the buyers of coins want the grade to reflect market value, not information as to sharpness, weakness, or the like. Accordingly, it is hoped that a coin certified as MS-66 will bring a price similar to that listed for the MS-66 level in market guides. The number does not reflect sharpness or quality."

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

In my thinking, coins graded AG, G, VG, F, VF, XF and AU are quite similar under most grading systems, it's when we get to MS that the differences start. Am I way off base?

longnine009 likes this.
  6. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

That wasn't my point, if you're addressing me. My point was that strict grading will come back into style. That's not the same as rolling the clock back 20 years!

p.s. I do admit I subscribe to the "never hurt me none". That's why I laugh when my doctor asks me if I wear a freaking bike helmet, LOL.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The Bible? You did some proof reading for that volume back in the day, right Doug? devil.gif

Kentucky likes this.
  8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Haha! No, not directed at you or anyone in particular. I just think it's funny when folks come to believe that bending or accepting change of viewpoints is "bi-God, liberal, troutsniffing, nonsense!"

9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

My comment was dripping with sarcasm and supposed to be over the top.

So prior to TPG's and the ANA, how were grading standards? I didn't collect back then, but I'm guessing they were all over the map. So the ANA put standards together and they've had quite a few additions of the guide. I have the 7th edition. So in my mind, even the ANA couldn't agree on some of the standards and they had to evolve.

My main point about the Model T was we always seem to think the past was actually better than it was. We harken back to how it was and forget about all the crap that was actually going on back then.

10. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Before ANA standards Brown & Dunn was the official grading guide of the ANA and then Photograde.

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I always preferred Brooks and Dunn....

12. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Can you carry it in your back pocket the way you can Brown & Dunn

jello likes this.
  13. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:)

14. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

On the contrary, if it takes an MS-66 label to bring MS-66 market guide money for what is actually an MS-65 coin CHANGE THE MARKET GUIDES NOT THE GRADING STANDARDS!!!

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Oh I'm well aware it says that John. But ya see here's the thing, the 3rd edition of the ANA grading standards was written in 1986 and published in 1987. And if you compare the actual grading criteria for all grades for each and every coin in the 3rd edition to the actual grading criteria for each and every coin for all grades in the 6th edition that was published in 2005, you will find 2, and only 2, individual grading criteria in 2 specific grades and only those specific grades, that were changed. And those 2 changes are for Buffalo nickels in F12 and Lincoln cents in F12.

Those changes are :
    Lincoln cents obv
    1987 - Liberty shows clearly with no letters missing.
    2005 - Liberty shows with no letters missing.
    Buffalo nickels rev
    1987 - Horn and tail are smooth but 3/4 visible.
    2005 - Horn and tail are smooth but partially visible. Rim is complete but flat in spots.

Those minor changes, for just those 2 grades for just those 2 coins, are the only changes. Every other grade criteria listed, for every other coin in the entire book is exactly the same, word for word, in the 2005 6th edition as it was in the 1987 3rd edition.

Now if you want to call that changing their grading standards, then OK, they've changed them. But I sure wouldn't.

micbraun and jello like this.
  16. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Thought I had a 7th edition sitting around here somewhere, but all I have handy is a 1st edition (1977 -- line drawings!) and a 5th edition (1996). The big differences over those 20 years are in the uncirculated grades. The 1977 book only defines 60, 65, and 70.

One table of note in the 5th edition is on p. 34, immediately before the first grading section for half cents. It lists grade limiting defects (strike, spots, washed-out luster, etc) and the maximum grades for each of those. The text I quoted above indicates that these have changed over time. Striking defects are said to limit a grade to 64 in the 5th edition, while the 6th edition concedes not only that such a coin can be graded 65, but that it would be unwise to indicate otherwise in their book.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not exactly John. You see the text you quoted above from the 6th edition, there's a couple of short paragraphs directly above that text that kind of clarify things. Those paragraphs state -

Under current grading standards, coins which exhibit significant weakness of strike cannot be graded MS65 (or PF65) or higher. To qualify as MS65 a coin must have a fairly sharp strike (but not necessarily a completely full strike).

That has changed. Today the leading commercial grading services routinely certify Buffalo nickels as MS66, or superb gem, even if the horn, shoulder, and head fur details are weak or missing. Similarly, a Standing Liberty quarter can be graded MS66 even though the head might not be fully detailed and some of the rivets in the shield might be missing.

Then comes the text that you quoted above. What I find to be the truly pertinent text is the line I have underlined above. In other words, what the ANA book is doing is describing and reporting how the TPGs had recently changed their grading standards. Keeping in mind that this book, the 6th edition, was published in 2005.

Now that said, and going as far back as the 3rd edition ANA book published in 1987 this is how the ANA themselves dealt with weak strike on MS65 coins on page 17.

If an uncirculated coin exhibits weakness due to strike or die wear, or unusual (for the variety) die wear, this must be adjectivally mentioned in addition to the grade. Examples are MS60 - weakly struck, or MS65 uncirculated - lightly struck.

The point I am illustrating is that ANA standards, even in 1987, as well as all subsequent years, allowed and permitted weakly struck coins to be graded as MS65. In that regard there was no change in ANA standards.

And if you further check throughout the entire books, the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th editions of the ANA standards, the written descriptions for MS65 (in fact for all grades other than the 2 I noted previously) are exactly the same, word for word, both in the beginning sections of the book and in the grading criteria for every individual coin listed in the books. In other words, the ANA did not change.

What did change was the TPG standards, and the 6th edition ANA book was making a point of stating the TPGs had changed in the text you quoted, and that I added.

Draft saved Draft deleted