Grading Standards

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by centsdimes, Jul 5, 2015.

1. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

Soon after I began collecting coins in the 60's, I came under the impression that the one true way to grade coins was to use the ANA Grading Standards book. I still believe that. What is the difference between their standards and other standards, such as those used by PCGS?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Opinion of standards. Pcgs has their own unique maybe. It is the same most of the time, but no one perfect.

centsdimes likes this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

What's the difference ? About the same as the difference between night and day. They are so different that there is no way to compare them except by reading both books. Suffice it to say that ANA standards are much more strict than PCGS standards.

centsdimes and geekpryde like this.
  5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I love how the old schoolers rant about how the ANA grading standards are the best, but never consider that "the original" is not often synonymous with "the best."

bkozak33 likes this.
  6. GDJMSP

Well, the ANA agrees with you. That's why ANA standards that were first developed in 1977 were thrown out and an entirely new grading system was developed and written in 1986. And the people who founded PCGS played a large part in doing that. But then PCGS decided those standards were too strict for them so they came up with their own, less strict standards.

The thing is PCGS kept on loosening their grading standards after that, while the ANA did not. So if you think looser and looser grading standards are better, then yeah, PCGS has better standards ;)

micbraun and geekpryde like this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I never said PCGS has better standards, Doug. But we all know there's no point in engaging you on this topic. So here's a winky emoticon right back at you... ;)

JPeace$ likes this.
  8. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

What is old will be new again.

People have short memories and there are only so many ideas out there. At some point, having really conservative /tight grading will become popular again, and PCGS and NGC will rush to outdo each other in this "new" strict grading regime. It will be a marketing strategy, one in which being derisive about the other premier TPG's inflated grades will drive brand loyalty and sort of unwind all these insane grades.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's all about money. No pun intended.

jello likes this.
  10. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Yeah your right basically.
    :)

11. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

This is not necessarily true. The ANA grading standards shifted several years ago to become more aligned with market grading. All we can say for sure is that PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, ANA are independent of each other and can therefore have independent grading standards, although it's in their best interest if they're well aligned with each other. Only the ANA standards are insulated from grading fees.

12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

When I am buying, they are all wrong until I agree with them based on my own examination. Not to say that I get it right all of the time.

miedbe7 and C-B-D like this.
  13. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

The point everyone is missing is: They are not Photograde. :D

jello likes this.
  14. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I doubt it, there is very little incentive to re-grade your coin, if the belief is that standards are gettign tighter. On the other hand, if it believed standards are getting looser, well, that is a lot of new submissions.

15. geekpryde

You need to think of it from a Marketing perspective. It would be something like

"Get your coins out of those OLD, over-graded, inflated, irrelevant holders, and into our NEW accurately graded holders. Protect your investment, increase your liquidity. Don't let the loose grading standards of the past act as a dead-weight around the neck of your collection. VTG is the name sellers and buyers trust!" (Very Tight Grading)

longnine009 likes this.
  16. longnine009

You can take the Keynesian out of the PM room but you can"t take the inflation out of the Keynesian. :p

Just ribbing ya Mike.

mikem2000 likes this.
  17. longnine009

That pretty much is why PCGS was formed in the first place.

18. GDJMSP

They did huh ? You're gonna have to show me where John, because to my knowledge they sure didn't.

19. GDJMSP

Where have I heard that before ?

20. geekpryde

:D

21. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

OH NO, the can of worms has been opened once again!

That Model "T", they don't build 'em like that anymore!

jello likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted