Grading: SP or MS?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cash4coin, Feb 25, 2015.

1. cash4coin

cash4coin ran 20 redlights

I'm looking at a 1998-S Matte Kennedy Half Dollar that was originally sold as an SMS with the RFK dollar coin. I see one for sale on eBay graded as SP69. Is that grade higher, lower, comparable to an MS(#). All the slabs I've ever seen are graded SP(#) but the prices given in the trade magazines/weekly papers price it out at the MS(#).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I have a set of satin Lincolns 2005 - 2008. Some are graded MS## and some are graded SP##. I don't thing the TPG's could make up their mind before they started on these coins.

4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

As someone who just sold my PCGS SP70 and still has my PCGS MS69 SMS for sale, I can say that both designations have been used for that particular coin.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think PCGS originally graded them MS and then changed to the SP designation. I still have two that were graded MS about 15 years ago.

Chris

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And sometimes NGC will use one designation and PCGS will a different one, or vice versa - just to be different from the other guy.

What it boils down to is there is no rhyme or reason to what the TPGs do at times.

And just to make matters more confusing, there actually are times when a coin should be called a specimen strike, and times when they should be called a special mint set strike. Which is which ? That depends on who you ask :rolleyes:

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Just think of how confusing this will be to folks in 50 years. We all lived the changes. It's going to drive collectors crazy in the future.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Not to worry Larry........you'll still be here to explain it to 'em. devil.gif

9. cash4coin

cash4coin ran 20 redlights

The coins in question

12.JPG 11.JPG

JPeace$ likes this.
  10. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

JPeace$ likes this.
  11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I have a '66 SMS set at NGC right now. I'll be interested to see what they put on the label. I submitted the coins in the mint packaging. There are some beautiful toners in there...hope they grade! Quarter is gold toned. Even, not splotchy and the luster beams through. The nickel is cool as well. The Kennedy has some darker toning to it, but still some nice color. The "cent" (or penny...j/k) has toning ovals. It's bizarre. There are 4 spots on the coin 11, 2, 4 and 6 o'clock where the toning is halo'ing away from the edge of the coin. I bet that one body bags. All I have are crappy photos.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted