Grading Services for the Amateur Collector

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by pghpanthers2, Jan 12, 2018.

1. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I am meaning legitimate coins, not these modern MS-69 ASEs.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Then yes your assumed rate is to high

4. TheFinn

What is it?

5. baseball21

I can't give you a hard number but I know for a fact it wouldn't be that high if you submitted every coin of value. If it was that high there'd be many more coins that would have been crossed.

Think of it this way why wouldn't a four or five figure coin have been crossed where it would be easier to sell for more

6. TheFinn

So you're saying I'm wrong, but you can't prove it. You wouldn't send a four or five figure coin to ANACS, you would send it to NGC or PCGS. If you are going to argue with someone, have facts. Otherwise you are voicing YOUR OPINION.

7. baseball21

You've yet to provide a fact yet. You made a statement that half their coins of value would cross at grade.

Here's a fact PCGS successful cross over rate in the last 12 months was 45% and that's for hand selected coins people pick to try and cross. That also counts the ones that cross at a lower grade.

So yes your OPINION that half of their coins of value would cross at grade is wrong

8. TheFinn

And that was my opinion based on the coins that I have crossed over. So if you don't know yourself, why do you have to argue with what someone else says?

9. baseball21

Because you were giving people the impression that it’s super easy to get anything crossed over when that’s not accurate.

10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Does anyone here have any actual hard numbers or are we all just making stuff up?

I haven’t seen any actual real numbers be used. If we’re all just making stuff up I can provide some numbers that show SEGS is better than all of them.

11. baseball21

Read again. The cross over rate is hard numbers. The hand picked material success rate is lower than half and that includes NGC coins too. So yes it’s not very hard to Interpret that data

12. TheFinn

I did? If it was super easy, then just send it to god directly. You don't know what the grades are until you get the coins back. You just don't blindly send things in for cross-over grading. Look at the ones that are conservatively graded, then choose from those. That increases your chance of crossing over. It isn't all or nothing, like everything in life.

13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

physics-fan3.14, posted: "On an absolute number of coins, yes - but percentage-wise, ANACS is much higher (the numbers below are just an example, and are in no way intended to be construed as fact).

THAT'S GOOD BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING ACCURATE according to the posters on Collectors Universe. They do make what you are posting :spitoutdummy: :vomit: seem very convincing. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

He continued: "My point is, even if they are significantly more accurate, because they grade so many more coins there will still be plenty of inaccurately graded coins (maybe even more than A or I, on an absolute number scale).

So IMO, you really don't have a point. What am I missing?

PS I bought a copy of Jason's book and it is a very good starting point. I don't agree with all that is in it but if I were as good a grader as he is I should have written one. I recommend it. :D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

TheFinn, posted: "So you're saying I'm wrong, but you can't prove it. You wouldn't send a four or five figure coin to ANACS, you would send it to NGC or PCGS. If you are going to argue with someone, have facts. Otherwise you are voicing YOUR OPINION."

Here is an unsolicited "OPINION" :bookworm::cigar: based on provable FACTS: High-value coins DO NOT, I'll repeat, DO NOT go to ANACS. :p

I was looking at "high-power" coins with a former ANACS grader at the FUN show and he was whining :arghh::grumpy::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears: that in the entire time he worked at ANACS (several years) they never got expensive coins. :( There is a reason for this. ;):smuggrin:

I have learned that ICG gets plenty! Most of them are attempts to get high-power, "problem coins" straight graded by the :bucktooth::confused: dummies who work there even though their graders :cigar: have been authenticating/grading coins fifteen years before David Hall got the idea to start PCGS! :jawdrop::facepalm:

Obviously, NGC and PCGS get the once in a lifetime stuff - AS THEY SHOULD!

TheFinn and baseball21 like this.
  15. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Just wondering by ICG is so bad. I sent in a couple Henning Nickels because they will slab them and label them as counterfeit, but will also attribute them as Henning Nickels.

Was this a mistake?

Paul M. likes this.
  16. baseball21

I don’t think you made a mistake with that if you wanted them slabbed ICG was a good choice. I don’t believe that PCGS or NGC will do those.

ddddd likes this.
  17. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

From this thread, I have learned that if I should ever lose my senses and have a coin slabbed, I should:
    1. Send it to ICG if it is a counterfeit.
    2. Send it to ANACS if it is a Dan Carr or just a cheap coin.
    3. Send it to NGC if I never intend to bust it out to cross it over.
    4. Send it to PCGS if it is a Bear Market.
    5. Send it to All above if it is an ASE.
    6. Sorry SEGS

TheFinn, Mainebill, micbraun and 2 others like this.
  18. baseball21

Lol.

number 2 would probably be better at ICG if it’s an overstike. ANACS lost a lot of appeal when dan stopped hand signing the labels, also the fact that as far as anyone can tell they flat out refuse to grade the overstrikes a 70

19. Jeff Scola

Jeff Scola New Member

You interested in a couple of my cards

20. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Well, in my opinion as far as your "counterfeit" comment, like it or not Henning's fakes are a part of American numismatic history because it was done by a known forger, and not some Chinese slave trying to dupe rare coin collectors. It is a unique story, unlike other coin forgeries. I agree that TPGs should not be slabbing counterfeits, but his operation definitely is an exception and the most interesting. No reason why it shouldn't be well preserved and protected as well as authenticated.

21. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

ease up, I was only poking fun at the other posters here.

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted