Grading PL 1968 Canadian $1 - Die Polish or Damage?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kipling79, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Kipling79

Kipling79 New Member

Hello Again -

I recently grabbed some Canadian PL sets and was excited to find my 2nd error, ever ( a Double Horizon). According to what I am seeing though, it would only be worth grading if it received a PL65 or higher.

At 5x magnification, I noticed these obvious lines across the obverse, but used my microscope to show them to you in detail. Are they die polish lines? And if so, does this destroy the grade?

P.S. Sorry for the weird color; my microscope and the cellophane don't play well together. Also, these lines are not on the cellophane... I checked multiple times.

20210227_092628013.png

TonkawaBill and capthank like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Looks like Planchet striations . I guess . :rolleyes:

1865King, mike estes and TonkawaBill like this.
  4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

They are unlikely to be from die polishing as they are on the devices as well as being perfectly parallel.The devices are the incused part of the die. Wait for others but my feeling is a planchet issue

TonkawaBill likes this.
  5. Kipling79

Kipling79 New Member

Thank you all for the replies. The planchet error makes sense, and really helps me with my grading decision.

Unfortunately, though, my lifetime record still stands at finding only one error. Haha. This particular coin appears to be a normal strike after further research... I could have sworn (initially) that the arrow on "Coins and Canada" was pointing at the small arc between the horizon and water lines as the marker for this variant. Darn.

20210227_110439343.png

TonkawaBill and capthank like this.
  6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Head up, keep looking, that is where the fun and learning experience is. And if you have found 1 error that is 1 more than countless thousands of coin collectors around the globe have .

mike estes and TonkawaBill like this.
  7. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Please show a picture of the entire coin for us beginners. Thanks

TonkawaBill likes this.
  8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Show the whole coin obverse and reverse. Nice find.

TonkawaBill likes this.
  9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Do you prefer a color . Purple perhaps ?

10. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

hey Kipling79 i believe what your seeing are Planchet striations as SensibleSal66 mentioned in his post above. the die polish lines in pictures I've seen before are more grouped together. there not always straight, or in a straight line. 1st picture is Planchet striations:
    download.jpeg
    die polish lines:
    download (1).jpeg
    hope this helps. great pictures by the way. weird colors don't bother me. good luck brother

Draft saved Draft deleted