Grading Morgans: Knowing your below UNC Grades

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bman33, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Over the last two years I have gotten a lot better at grading Morgans from MS-62 to MS-67. Above that I don't care. Now I am looking at below 62. I learned previously by looking at tons of coins. At coin shows, LCS's, and online auction sites. Any advice on getting those lower grades down? Wear seems to be difficult to detect on pictures.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

My only advice>>>>
    Learn the striking characteristics of each date and mintmark. At the very least learn which ones are notorious for a weak strike.
    If Early S mints are the best.
    Late New Orleans is probably the worst.
    Ive seen vf-xf looking coins that are actually Au/Uncs. Which can sometimes mean a huge swing in price:greedy:

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

A well struck New Orleans Morgan is a treat to find.

Nathan401 likes this.
  5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

79-O, 80-O, and 81-O come well struck. Don't be led into paying extra for one of these just because the strike is decent. It's not until 1883 when O starts putting out pancakes, with the worst being the early 90s.

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Study, study, study. Use the pictures here for reference: https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Morgan/Grades

If you have access to an auction, go and just look at all the coins. Cover the grade on the slab, look at the coin, try and grade it for yourself, and then compare your grade to the slab grade. That is by far the best way to learn.

If you don't have access to an auction, go to the Heritage archive and just look at pictures. It isn't the same, but its the best substitute.

Draft saved Draft deleted