Grading Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dick Coss, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Dick Coss

Dick Coss New Member

Could anyone give me the approximate cost of having coins graded and slabed? What is the procedure for doing them, singles and several? Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Pcgs economy $20 regular $32 ngc been posted already. Just got results of 17 coin ngc economy submission tonight

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

How'd you do Bill ?

7. Mainebill

13 out of 17. 6 were crack outs out of pcgs detail slabs I didn't agree with all but 2 went clean. 2 others graded reverse scratched. Not a big deal both were coins I had next to nothing in. And didn't look real close at especially being small (half dimes) they were very conservative overall I think many would have been graded a grade higher by pcgs lol. Ngc cheaper and more consistent I think. I got a dozen more at pcgs still waiting on results most all of these were good mid level circulated 19th c coins

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. C G Memminger

C G Memminger Active Member

While you learn the ropes of coin grading, be sure to read up on many threads here about the economics of grading. In a nutshell, the expense of grading must be compared with the incremental value you expect to gain with the slab and anticipated grade.

Anticipated grade is another story, altogether. Learning to evaluate coins is tricky, and is not a skill you can learn quickly.

If you like to learn new stuff, and are willing to immerse yourself in a new "bad habit," You're in the RIGHT PLACE!! SMILE!

9. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I don't submit that often, so I use a local dealer. Most coin shops have accounts with PCGS and NGC. The shop will then handle the submission forms, packaging ect.

The benefits are: sharing shipping and handling costs, and the dealer may screen your coins for issues you may have missed. Plus, you won't have to join "the club".

Some shops charge a couple bucks for their time, some don't.

10. Tamaracian

Tamaracian 12+ Yr Member--Supporter

THE 3 MAJOR GRADING SERVICES (TPGs): If your're thinking of using either NGC or PCGS to do your grading you will have to have at least a basic membership (NGC Collectors Society-Associate @ $39/yr or PCGS Collectors Club-Silver @49/yr), or else go through a Coin Dealer. You could also use ANACS which is open to anyone; their costs are lower than NGC/PCGS, but their slabbed coins generally bring less upon resale than the equivalent graded NGC/PCGS coin.

I have found, based upon my past submissions, that in general for NGC/PCGS grading--using the ECONOMY Tier for reference (and assuming no additional service, e.g. Variety)--expect to pay for (1) ONE coin approximately $70. Why $70: your outbound shipping cost (e.g. Priority Mail or Registered) + Insurance; The TPGs charges (Submission Fee + Tier Grading Fee + Return Shipping AND mandatory Insurance). The TPGs will mandate that you specify the value for EACH coin, and they will use that value for the return shipping Insurance. IF you have a FedEx, or USPS Express Mail Account and private insurance (e.g. ShipandInsure) you can stipulate that the TPG uses one of those approved Shippers and YOU will insure your own shipment; this can save you money over the TPGs usual method of using USPS Registered Mail w/Insurance for the return shipment to you.

If you have multiple coins to submit, the Shipping/Handling and Insurance costs are obviously spread out over the total number of coins.

As several other members have said, the TPGs have detailed submission instructions and PDF Forms on their websites.

11. Mainebill

I really never send in a submission without 8-10 coins I try to keep it under 20 tho

Draft saved Draft deleted