Grading coins - what does PL mean

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Belix, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Belix

Belix Junior Member

Hi Folks
    went to a munismatics faire sunday - apart from finding out how little I know, I saw a couple of what looked like NGC slabbed coins with a PL 61 grade. Now I'm familiar with the 1-70 grade and why proof coins have a PR rating, but a PL rating is new to me.

Also, is PR rating only between 60-70? Would you get a PR51 coin, or does it just fall into the AU XF etc grade? I hope that makes some kind of sense...:eek:
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

PL = proof like
    Proof like means a shinny surface, but not manufactured as a proof-- that is the dies are polished but the coin is a regular circulation strike.

"PR51 coin, or does it just fall into the AU XF" A circulated proof coin could be graded as PR-50 or PR-55 or whatever the grade.
  4. Belix

Belix Junior Member

Ah thanks. So we have PL = Proof Like (only dies polished), Cameo (polished dies and ... polished blank? Struck many times?). And Ultra Cameo? Just struck even more times for a 'deeper' impression?

Does that mean PL would be in place of MS for 'normal' business strikes?
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Pl means proof like, that is the dies are polished by the mint prior to striking, possibly because of a die clash, or whatever.
    Cameo, one of the first strike from a polished die.
    Ultra Cameo (NGC's term) then there is Ultra Deep Cameo, and PCGS uses slightly different terms, just means the degree of cameo-- that is contrast between the fields and the devices (eg liberty's head on a Morgan dollar).

"Does that mean PL would be in place of MS for 'normal' business strikes?"

No-- it would be: (for example) MS-65 PL or MS-63 Cameo PL
  6. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

pl means it is a really really really shiny mint state coin.
  7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

as opposed to DMPL for - deep mirror proof like - seen on Morgan Dollar slabs
  8. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

An I always thought it was PR for Priced Right and PL for Priced Low. :smile
Draft saved Draft deleted