Grading Buffalo Nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by benne911, Aug 30, 2014.

1. benne911

benne911 Active Member

I'm trying to teach myself how to grade buffalo nickels using photograde and the books. I'm having trouble distinguishing between F / VF / and some XF. Even in photograde they look the same. Any tips you guys have picked up with them?
    Also below is an attempt I tried tonight. My Guess Was It Is VF.... am I correct
    uploadfromtaptalk1409452707790.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1409452719314.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

Try to get better pictures without glare. Here is one of my buffalos
    1920-s Buffalo nickel.jpg

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I would say VF is correct based on what I can see, but the glare on the obverse makes it hard to tell.

5. benne911

benne911 Active Member

Is there any specific marking between a VF and XF? Because on photograde website some lower grades have more eye appeal than the higher grades

6. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Benne, Buff's are one of the hardest to grade.

First start by learning which years are weekly struck, primarily all 20's San Fran's. Then start on the reverse and the horn.

benne911 likes this.
  7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Benne -

What you are experiencing is just one of the problems of trying to learn how to grade based on pictures and why all picture type grading systems fail so miserably.

If you don't already own a copy get yourself a copy of the Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for US Coins. Then learn how to grade based on the written descriptions for each grade in it and forget about trying to grade based on pictures.

8. benne911

benne911 Active Member

Thanks GDJMSP... I was using the black book along with photograde for comparison. I'll see if I can get a copy of the ANA one as well. I'm also trying to keep the grading more conservative rather than over grade a borderline coin

9. GDJMSP

Then forget about using pictures completely and don't use them at all. Not even the ones in the ANA book. (they're worthless anyway)

10. chip

chip Novice collector

I like to grade from the reverse, using the horn hair and tail to assess wear,

from the ana guide," f12, horn and tail are smooth, but 3/4 visible"

vf20, "the tip o the horn is visble,"

note that to be a vf20 the coin must also pass the lower grade requirements, so even if the tip of the horn is visible, but not 3/4 of the full horn, then the coin is not even a f12,

vf30 "horn is worn but full, "

xf40 "horn is full yet worn, but all details are visible,"

my method is to have a mint state example to know what are all the details that should be visible

xf45"horn is sharp and nearlly complete."

If I had a nickel for every dealer who wanted to pretend that a smooth horn barely 3/4 visible was an xf, I would have a buffalo nickel collection in f12 instead of xf40

11. benne911

benne911 Active Member

By the horn in the pic I posted what would you consider that?

12. GDJMSP

Yup, used to be that way. But the ANA changed it in 2005 with their 6th edition. Now -

F12 - horn and tail are smooth but partially visible

VF20 - Point of horn is not always visible

VF30 - Horn is worn but distinct on coins that are well struck

EF40 - horn, hair and back are lightly worn

EF45 - horn is sharp and nearly complete, although often weakly struck

Since 1986 the ANA has only changed the grading criteria on 2 coins, the Buff in grades from F12 to EF45, and the Lincoln cent (wheaties only) in the same grade range.

jello likes this.
  13. chip

chip Novice collector

heh, why is it that they lower the standards instead of raise them?

I should have noted that I was quoting from the 4th edition.

That is a rhetorical question, I have a pretty good idea why they lower and not raise standards.

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

So I guess that makes this one f12, right?
    b1915-s.jpg

15. chip

chip Novice collector

I think it would go vf according to the new slack standards,

benne911 likes this.
  16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

17. benne911

benne911 Active Member

I guess in the case of buffalos I can see the standards changing because I have seem buffalos where the horn is worn like that yet everything else looks good.. and worn coins with full horn etc

18. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

To me, the horn should be neglected for the most part because it is more of an indication of strike rather than wear. There are a multitude of uncirculated buffalo nickels that have flat horns. This is why full horn examples command such a high premium similar to mercury dime full split bands, Roosevelt dime full torches and so on. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be used as a grading focal point, but it should never be the end all in assessing a grade.

19. GDJMSP

By ANA standards, even today's - yes.

BY TPG standards, obviously not.

It is up to the individual to draw their own conclusions from that.

jello likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted