Grading Anomalies Thread: Weird Grades, Strange Pricing

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Oct 10, 2019.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Thought a thread on curious auction results and TPG was merited after I saw this:

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results...+231&Ntt=1923-D+MS+66+Saint&ic4=SortBy-071515

All the sales take place in August 2019....I get the 1923-D Saint in the OGH selling for a premium, but that much ? Why the others selling for so much more than the others ? Is it strange to see a pretty savvy group (HA bidders) vary their pricing by 30% ($1,000 or so) for the same-grade of coin, even if you can determine a slight over- or under-grading ?

People were definitely buying the coins, not the grades. I'm just wondering if you guys can pick out any pattern to the final auction prices and how the coins look (and/or were graded).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

People like paying a premium for older holders because they often assume they were more-conservatively graded. In fact, most of those have already been cracked out and resubmitted, and the vast majority of what’s left won’t upgrade at today’s standards

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not at all strange.

First off, and I've posted about this many times, when knowledgeable people are doing the bidding it's extremely common for some examples of same coin (date/mint), same TPG/same grade, - and all in the same auction - to sell for multiples of what others sell for. Typically this is due to differences in the coins as in one or more being noticeably nicer than the others. But not always, sometimes it's due to a particular variety being in the mix. A variety that may or may not be noticed by other bidders.

In this particular case you've got 9 coins total. But if you look at the two that brought the highest prices, $6600 and $5280, they are both of the same variety as denoted by the die scratches. But the one is just a bit nicer than the other, thus the higher price.

The other 7 coins, you've got 3 that are in the same ballpark price wise, and 4 that are in the same ballpark price wise - with each group having 1 lower than the others. Again this is typical and usually the result of small differences in quality. But sometimes it's just the way the bidding happens to run. What I mean by that is that when a coin is going for over two or three thousand a price difference of $200-$300 is nothing. It's simply a bidder giving up at the end.

Bottom line, this particular instance went exactly as it usually does. So like I said, no, it's not all strange.

geekpryde and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  5. GoldFinger1969

Strange to this grading novice, but not an expert like you, GD. :D

What do you mean...."same variety" and how are you telling that from the die scratches (and how are you telling which are die scratches and which are bag marks, etc. ?).

You have a sharp eye, GD. Not sure how quickly you saw these differences but I'm only seeing some of these differences after spending a few minutes on each of these coins.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. GDJMSP

I'm no expert, but this -

It's pretty simple, all ya gotta do is look at them to see that they obviously came from the same die. But the price being so noticeably different from all the others is your first clue that there's something special about these 2 coins.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/saint-gaud.../1298-4983.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

upload_2019-10-12_10-52-44.png

https://coins.ha.com/itm/saint-gaud.../1298-4985.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

upload_2019-10-12_10-53-19.png

The die scratches all the way across LIBERTY and next to the neck above the left shoulder - they're identical on both coins. And they're easily recognized as die scratches because they are raised lines. Is it possible they're die cracks and not die scratches ? Yeah, I suppose, but if ya look close there's clearly 3 of them and none connect with the others. And die cracks usually do connect, but not always. But either way it doesn't matter if they're scratches or cracks because either one denotes a specific variety - and that's what matters.

The die scratches across LIBERTY are pretty hard not to see so I saw them immediately, and all by themselves are enough to confirm the same die struck both coins. The ones by the neck ya gotta look closer but once ya do they are identical and further confirmation of same die.

7. GoldFinger1969

But what IS strange -- at least to me -- is that all the coins in that 2-month window are MS-66 or MS-66+ and you have a RANGE of $4,000 from lowest to highest.....and those 2 price points aren't even outliers, there are plenty of sales around $2,500 and $3,500 and then the few (2) that go for $5,000 and up.

Normally, I'd expect Saints -- pretty well-defined, grading-wise -- to be 2 grades different if you are moving by almost $4,000 and close to 200% higher in price range. Even if you exclude the 2 highest, you still have some coins selling for over 50% more ($1,200+) than others.

I'll have to go over the coins and compare a bit more, but I don't see anything that jumps out at me and screams 1 or 2 of these are light-years better/worse than the rest.

8. GDJMSP

What I was trying to point out to you is that those two are not better or worse - they are different, they are both a special variety. That is what gives them the extra value.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  9. GoldFinger1969

Right, understood...but what about the difference between the same-graded (or only a "+" deisgnation difference) between those selling for $2,300 or so and those selling for $3,600 or so ?

That's 50% difference. That's not the vagaries of bidding or a big enough difference if the + designation is present on one and not the other.

10. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Sometimes its just the timing, and venue of the auctions, and bidding wars, etc...

halfcent1793 and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  11. GoldFinger1969

Understood, but there were enough sales in July/August such that timing isn't a factor. Some of the sales appear to be on the same day. And the difference in pricing for the exact same grade is big enough that it is NOT just a bidding variation on that day or for that particular coin.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  12. GDJMSP

As I explained before,

Differences like that are typically due to one coin being nicer than than the other. And if one looks closely at them, it's easy to see that is the case here.

Ya need to understand, these differences in realized prices is so common that it's the norm. 30-50% more, that's nothing. You'll even find examples of same coin, same date/mint, same auction, same TPG, selling for double what another one does - 100% more. And it happens with all coins, not just Saints. Morgans, Lincolns, Jeffs, Buffs - you name it it happens. The thing is most people simply don't notice it's happening because they don't look for it ! But it happens, and it happens all the time.

13. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

I'm a little late on this thread.
    The 23-D is a weird saint because it tones well & can also have great luster.
    They are also common & available in very nice condition.

These things CAC &/or + as well as being offered in a variety of holders.

As you have noticed, they can vary in price greatly in MS66.

Here is the one I settled on. (66+/CAC)
    Spotlight luster surrounded by toning
    The range is probably about $2500 for a 66C to $5800 for a 66+/CAC
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  14. GoldFinger1969

Thanks for chiming in, SGC.

You think even a "C" in MS66 for the 1923-D can be had for $2,500 ?
    Unless it is misgraded, I would think that should be the range for a quality MS65.

Appreciate your comments (and GD's !!) as a 1923-D is high on my shopping list for FUN.

15. GoldFinger1969

SG Collector, where did you get your MS66+ Saint and when did you buy it ?

16. GoldFinger1969

Wow, that's a pretty big spread for all within the 66-range. And that assumes a 66C is clearly identified as such and a 66A or coin that merits a 66+ or 66CAC is clearly visibily better. That's not always the case, though I think with Saints it's a bit clearer (working on a post to demonstrate this).

I get it because if a coin is close to or has a shot at a re-grading and reaching a 66+CAC or 66CAC, it's right below a 67 which probably sells for $12,000 give-or-take.

17. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

I'll check out some 23-D's online tonight and maybe post something tomorrow for you to check out.

18. GoldFinger1969

Great....I scanned about 6-7 of them, the one GDJSMP commented on. I did a little experiment and when I have time will post the results here.

19. GoldFinger1969

Different year, same coin, same mint: I was reading an article on 1927-D's and the article said that a buyer wanted a CAC 1927-D so John Albanese got a presumably weak PCGS 66 1927-D downgraded by NGC to a 65+ and then his company CAC'ed it.

Personally, I think that's playing games. TRYING for a lower grade so you can then get a strong-for-the-grade CAC sticker...which you control ?:wideyed:

20. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

On the ebays auctions I've seen green CAC common date coins sell well above the next higher grade and gold CAC sell at prices 2-3 grades higher. I'd a think at a certain point the buyer should just buy a coin in the higher grade, but what do I know...

NewbietoCoins and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  21. GoldFinger1969

It's rare that a Green CAC will jump the price ABOVE the next grade level for the auctions/coins I've seen intensely; I haven't seen or studied enough of the Gold CAC impacts.

Draft saved Draft deleted