Grading and slabbing???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Warren Douglas Carruth, Jan 21, 2015.

1. I recently gained possession of a small collection of $5, $10, $25, and $50 dollar American gold bullion coins. Is it a good investment, financially, to have these coins graded and slabbed. I do not have any intentions of selling them in the near future.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

If they're bullion coins it really doesn't pay to have them slabbed as most have little or no numismatic value and will always be worth close to 'spot'. Save your dough and welcome to the forum.........:)

krispy likes this.
  4. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

If you know that you are not selling them in the near future then there is little reason to slab them.

By the same token, if you know that you are not dying in the near future (which might make your heirs sell in the near future) then I am interested in buying your crystal ball.

jmon and krispy like this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Even if it has bad news for you? :eek:

6. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Especially if it's bad news. I'll know not to buy fresh bananas.

tommyc03 and chridular like this.
  7. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Likely not worth slabbing, although some dates are worth a surprisingly large premium over melt.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Clearly don't buy green ones!

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If you don't plan on selling then no, do not slab. But if any of these might come in at 70's and you do plan on selling then yes. A lot easier to get rid of as long as you can recoup your slabbing costs.

10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

If they're proof coins, keep them with their original packaging. If they're the uncirculated ones, just keep them safe. There are a few dates that are worth multiples in MS/PR70 of what they are worth in a more pedestrian grade, but since you're not selling them, there's no real reason to spend the money at this time to have them graded.

Draft saved Draft deleted