Grading and possible error help needed with $2.5 Indian.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Johndoe2000$, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Hello all, I'm wanting to know the grade, and (possible error/variety) of this one. I can't grade these very well to say the least. I'm thinking 58-62. Also something in the neck area. Is it a clash, strike-through, or something else entirely??? Also approximate value (FMV) for my records. (Also have a 1911 in low to mid AU) but that's all I have for these.
    I'm using the GSC pics, because they are much better than what I can do. I'm trying to update my inventory spreadsheet with more detailed, current information.
    Thanks in advance.
    John.

$_57 (3) (1).jpg
    $_57 (4) (1).jpg

dwhiz, gronnh20 and jwitten like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Whoo hoo! Indians! I would grade it upper AU, to 61 tops. It is a clash on the neck. Pretty common on this date, and found on a few other date's as well. ANACS will label it as such, but ngc and pcgs do not. At one point in time, I was able to sell them for a small premium labeled as such, but it seems they really don't bring much of a premium now, because they are pretty common. I buy and and sell these a LOT, so my price is based on trying to turn a small profit. I would pay $240 tops right now, but then hope to sell it for higher.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  4. kkathyl0

kkathyl0 Active Member

Real nice coin @Johndoe2005 then again you always have a great selection

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  5. Johndoe2000$

I was hoping you would chime in, as I respect your knowledge, and opinions. Thanks.

6. Johndoe2000$

Thanks.

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

It looks high AU to me, but the patina and the seller gives me pause. I've had some luck with them, but I've returned more than I've kept.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  8. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Here are a few of my "successes' with them... The last one is a nice error coin I cherry picked.
    84974928_max.jpg TrueView_82443543_Large.jpg TrueView_83839741_Large.jpg

dwhiz, Kirkuleez and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  9. Johndoe2000$

This was my first, and only gold purchase from GSC. I ordered two, had to return the other for unlisted cleaning.

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Yes, 1908 is the most common of the clashed coins in this series. The clashes exist on a few of the other dates, but are notably more difficult to locate.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

If you can recognize the difference between problems and straight grade coins, you should be good buying from them. I generally don't advise them to less knowledge collectors.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  12. Johndoe2000$

I'm absolutely not good at all actually. The cleaning was not detected until I had it in hand. The pics hid the problems pretty well, but someone with decent skills/knowledge would have caught the cleaning from the pics I'm sure.

13. kkathyl0

kkathyl0 Active Member

thanks for the info

Draft saved Draft deleted