Grading and cameo

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bcp, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Send a few error pictures and we can telk if the man was just a nut job

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Not a 1981. 79 is cameo

4. Bcp

Bcp Member

5. Bcp

Bcp Member

Wait a min ..I am learning still and I appreciate everyone's advice. I thought slabbed coins were graded from what I read in plastic and come with certification. What are the prices in doing that if the coin is worth slabbing. Maybe I'm confused. I do love this site. Everybody is really nice. I was just saying that the older gentleman collected for a very long time and wrote what errors are on the pennies and are in 2x2's. I guess I m getting confused. Can you please teach me?

6. Bcp

Bcp Member

7. Bcp

Bcp Member

Wow that's really harsh

8. Bcp

Bcp Member

9. Bcp

Bcp Member

Do I take them out of the 2x2s

10. Bcp

Bcp Member

11. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I think what they are trying to say is that you can buy these same coins certified for less than the cost for you to have these certified.

I know it sounds crazy, but it’s true.

12. Bcp

Bcp Member

Here are more coins

Attached Files:

13. Bcp

Bcp Member

Here are more coins

14. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The 1964 Half Dollar and Quarter Dollar are perfect to illustrate a very valuable point.

Cameo coins vary from era to era. The current era started around 1973 or 74 and since then all coins have a beautiful deep cameo finish on each side and would grade as Deep Cameo.

Coins from 1950-1964 are very different. The coins were not purposefully struck with cameo finish, but rather a brilliant finish across the entire coin except for the first few coins struck with the dies. But during this period they did not change out both obverse and reverse dies at the same time and so quite often you will see coins where one side is deep cameo, but the other is brilliant, or semi-brilliant and these coins would grade with a PF grade and possibly a star or a plus for the eye appeal of the cameo side.

Your Half and Quarter are only deep cameo on one side.

I hope that helps.

15. Bcp

Bcp Member

I m trying to figure out if I sent you more coins

Attached Files:

16. Bcp

Bcp Member

17. Bcp

Bcp Member

More not sure if I sent them all or duplicated them

Attached Files:

18. Bcp

Bcp Member

I am screwing up I'm sorry

19. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

If the 'BIE' cent is any indication, there aren't any collectible errors. That is just a chipped die.

20. Bcp

Bcp Member

I know from reading that when a coin is left to long in plastic it turns color. The nickle has a bluish tint which I just think is cool

Attached Files:

21. Bcp

Bcp Member

Tk you

Draft saved Draft deleted