Grading an Error from a U.S. Special Mint Set...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by StevenHarden, Jul 27, 2020.

1. StevenHarden

StevenHarden Well-Known Member

Hello All.

It has been some time since I last posted on here. I would like to revisit an item from a previous post I created back on March 16th, 2020. That post was called "Mixed Lot of Errors #5 - Comments?". The item I am looking at in particular is the first item in that post, ERROR #27. As described in that post, ERROR #27 is in reference to the Kennedy half dollar from a 1966 U.S. Special Mint Set. That Kennedy half was considered to be struck through a large piece of string/cord on BOTH the obverse and reverse. Below are some photos of the item I previously posted.

I am intending on having this piece sent to NGC for grading. I am curious what everyone believes would be the best way to submit to NGC in order to yield the highest value later on. I wonder if breaking the coin out and sending it in individually would allow for more focus on it alone, but I also wonder if a collector would prefer the set to be kept together in a multi-coin holder. From my viewpoint it is neat to see the error sitting the way it was originally placed in the SMS holder, but I am curious how an error collector might view it. I have never seen NGC grade an SMS set still in the original plastic because I believe it would not comply with their "air-tight" policy, but that would be an interesting idea.

So, please give me your thoughts on how best you think this piece should be submitted to NGC.

As always, any comments are greatly appreciated and any discussion is encouraged.

Now to the photos:
    Error27a.jpg
    Error27b.jpg
    Error27c.jpg
    Error27d.jpg
    Error27e.jpg
    Error27f.jpg

THANK YOU.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

@JCro57 @paddyman98 what are your thoughts? Mine are that the value is either in it being in an SMS set, or being an error, and the best way to go is to crack it out and submit it by itself. It should get annotated as an SMS and I think submitting it as a group is an unneeded expense.

StevenHarden likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I would keep it as it is.
    You can see that it's obviously an Error. I love that coin.

5. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

I agree 100% with @paddyman98

As an error collector, and someone who knows a lot of other error collectors, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT when there is a significant error in an actual Mint set.

With great frequency, noticeable and significant errors sell better - and you will get higher prices - if you leave them in the original Mint packaging. Many will not mind paying more for the extra (minimal) value the other coins bring to have the coin they really want in the set.

Significant and obvious errors in Mint and Proof sets are very, very rare. You have a super cool example of one. Please, by all means, don't ruin it!!!

I can't recommend strongly enough you leave it in there and don't remove it.

I also would NOT submit it for grading. It is very obvious what the error is.

Why pay a fee and add cost to a coin when most serious error collectors will clearly know what it is? The half dollar as is will probably fetch under $100. It costs about $45 to grade/ship by NGC. It is not worth it to grade, which we know being in gov't packaging will be in the MS67 range.

Leave it as is. Don't spend the money to grade it. It will sell just fine as is and you get to keep more of your money. For me at least, both are very easy calls.

~Joe Cronin

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  6. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

@StevenHarden

I can tell you that in my circle of close error collector friends, we PREFER buying errors RAW than certified. We are not opposed to certified coins (I buy them regularly), but I do prefer raw. I don't sell my coins either, and yes, they tend to sell better if certified.

But nless it is truly a whopper of an error, most error collectors I know prefer to buy them uncertified for a couple reasons:

(1) They are easier to store in flips than in holders.

(2) NGC, ANACS, and ICG are not all that good in terms of correctly identifying, attributing, and labeling errors. I have about 30-40 certified coins from these companies that are flat out wrong OR they slabbed a coin that is actually damaged significantly. I am not talking an error on the label; I am talking the error type was incorrectly identified. (PCGS is far better and more trusted, and coins in PCGS do tend to sell better and for more money).

(3) Sometimes there isn't enough room on a label to list all the errors and they get left off the label. Now try and sell it and say "hey, it also has an "X" and "Y" error." Many inexperienced collectors won't believe you because "well, that isn't on the label."

If I have a major error that I want to protect by putting it in a slab, want the most people to consider buying it, and trust the error type will be properly attributed by someone who knows what they are doing (e.g. @Fred Weinberg), I send them to PCGS. Everything else I leave raw.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The coin looks happy and safe the way it is.

JCro57 likes this.
  8. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I totally agree to leave it as is!

JCro57 and spirityoda like this.
  9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have to agree with everyone else. I think its much more interesting left in the set to most people. An advanced collector desiring this has no need to pay for the TPG opinion.

JCro57 likes this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Any thoughts on the value of this error in PCGS or NGC plastic?

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's a great error but I would leave as is. Any attempt to grade ruins the item for what it is. The error is obivious.

JCro57 likes this.
  12. Chris11111952

Chris11111952 Member

Just a silly thought NGC/PCGS put labels on GSA Dollars why not ask if they can do it with this?

13. Millard

Millard Coindog

Don't know if NGC is still doing this. I've purchased several sets of SMS coins that were slabbed individually, but I recently purchased a 1967 SMS set that was graded by NGC and all five coins were in a single multi coin slab.

14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Great coin. I say meave it in the set also.

JCro57 likes this.
  15. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

Another "leave it in the original packaging" vote.

JCro57 likes this.
  16. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Leave it where it is. I love it! In a slab it's just another slabbed error. As is, it is something really special.

john65999 and JCro57 like this.
  17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Totally agree with Joe.

JCro57 and capthank like this.
  18. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

I'd agree completely with the 'keep it in the set' posts.

JCro57 likes this.
  19. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Send it back to the mint and ask for an undamaged one! lol :)

Oldhoopster, JCro57, Kentucky and 2 others like this.
  20. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Yes leave it as it is. Great find.

JCro57 likes this.
  21. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Great coin! Please don't break it out. Not many errors like that in OGP. Down the road you'll be glad you left it as is. Not just for the money, but for the authenticity of the OGP.

JCro57 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted