Grading Advice on 1921 (P D S) Walking Halves

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Tater, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I'm trying to put together a set of these and want to start on the 21's. I was looking at the 21-S tonight on ebay and I am having issues in telling the major difference between a F12 and a F15. What are some key things to look at on this series and this date between VG8 and VF20. Help me learn. Ideally I'd like to find a nice eye appealing coin that is choice for its grade.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

here's photo grade comments. F-12 obv. A few details on shirt lines, and on leaves left arms, Reverse: half of the feathers visible.
    next up F-20 obv. all shirts' lines show, body well rounded and breast outlined. Reverse all wing feathers shown, eagle's breast will be worn smooth. Hope this helps?

Tater and Nick Zynko like this.
  4. Nick Zynko

Nick Zynko ZmanFla

A good site to bring up and take a look at some hi-res examples, go to the PCGS price guide, open the 21 WL in mint state and under the picture is a link for more pictures of that date. That will take you to a series of the different grades from MS67 to AG for a side-by-side comparison. A picture is worth a thousand words but don't forget that 3 points between grades can be really subjective- coin dependent of course, even between the pro's opinions!
    Images of Walking Liberty Half Dollar 1921 50C - PCGS CoinFacts

David Betts and Tater like this.
  5. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I've noticed the gown at the base by the foot. At what grade does the wear blend into the foot and become one?

6. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted