Grades/slab? on a couple nice German coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Mark Metzger, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Here are two raw German pieces I'd love grade and/or send off to be slabbed input on...man, that's a terribly crafted sentence.
    IMG_4194.JPG IMG_4195.JPG IMG_4173.JPG IMG_4174.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mark Metzger

Here are a couple shots after a short acetone bath. Not sure how much it helped but thought I'd post them anyway.
    IMG_4197.JPG IMG_4199.JPG IMG_4196.JPG IMG_4198.JPG

Theodosius likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The 09 is such a pretty design.

5. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

They are both somewhat better date/mints, but unfortunately the cost of slabbing them will be more than they are worth.

Kentucky, amorris and spirityoda like this.
  6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

1st coin. Germany/Weimar Republic, 1926-G, 1 Reichsmark , .500 silver, mintage-3,410,000.
    grade/values 2016 World coin catalog KM#44
    F-$14.00 VF-$35.00 XF-$80.00 MS60-$230 MS63-$280
    not sure what your coins grade is VF-XF ?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

2nd Coin. Germany/Empire. 1909-G, 1 mark, .900 silver, mintage-854,000
    grade/values 2016 World coin catalog KM#14
    F-$8.00 VF-$16.00 XF-$38.00 MS60-$150- MS63-$200
    not sure what your coins grade is VF-XF ?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  8. Mark Metzger

@spirityoda , thanks for the input. I figured they were both on the wrong side of the VF/XF or XF/AU borderline. Really cool coins nevertheless in my opinion.

spirityoda likes this.
  9. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

As one guilty of slabbing 'pocket change' and/or coins worth less than the slabbing, I would say it all depends on why you want to. Uniformity of storage? Completing a series/type set? Protection? Curious about grading opinions and/or genuine? If any of the above (or your own reasons) apply, then go for it.

For example, one of my side projects is a slabbed version of the Dansco Japan Type, with an eye to updating to the current year, which means adding an Emperor, ie. pocket change. I have sent in many coins with the stated value of '$5'. Or less. Just so my slabbed series is as complete as my raw set in the album.

I just keep imagining the graders scratching their heads and laughing at the submission.

spirityoda and Theodosius like this.
  10. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Makes sense to me. People collect coins based on more than just future monetary value.

11. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I collect German coins, as I have said many times here. I put my better coins which are not good enough to be graded into everslabs to protect them. My copies of each of these coins are a higher grade than your and are still only in Everslabs, not graded.

Draft saved Draft deleted