Gradeflation

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by statequarterguy, Feb 5, 2016.

1. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

If TPG graders could consistently hit over 90% then grades would change when coins were resubmitted less than 10% of the time.

Admittedly hearsay on my part--I don't resubmit coins--but one very seldom hears of a group of 5 to 8 coins being resubmitted which don't have at least one come back with a different grade.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Apples and oranges! I'm not talking about RAW coins.

APPLES: What you have stated is absolutely true. When a raw coin goes into a TPGS, it gets graded. There is no guarantee that the grade will stay the same as different people MAY grade it. That's what the finalizer is for. To keep consistency as best he can. He is human too. Additionally, the coin may have a different finalizer. The QC grader generally does not change a grade. He looks for label errors. There are even stories of a coin that is "recognized" being held at the same grade and then bumped after several tries. Who knows ;)

NOW, to the ORANGES: You catch a majority of long-time employees (TPG's) at a show and hand them a PCGS or NGC slab with the grade covered and they will hit the grade at least 95% of the time. That's what I have OBSERVED at shows and grading seminars and I'm sticking to it :cigar::smuggrin:

4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted