Graded Proof Sets

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Hommer, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Does anybody know if NGC still grades whole proof sets? If so what are the criteria? Original packaging? Will they designate an error or variety on a graded set?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I have no idea but with some of the things I’be seen graded I certainly would think so. Try calling and asking them about doing this, dee what is involved, the cost and how long it takes.

Hommer likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

Hommer likes this.
  5. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

That was kinda what I was looking for, minus the "bulk submission" part. For you guys who have way more knowledge than me, how many coins does it take to be considered bulk? I have many proof sets but only have one that I would like to get incapsulated with the variety on the label so those after me aren't lost on it's value.

After saying all of that. I still have a part of me that says leave it in it's original package.

Santinidollar likes this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

I believe bulk is at least 100 of the same type but it might have changed.
    You might also need a special status/level at NGC (like being an authorized dealer).
    If you have just the one set, your best bet is to contact customer service and see if they will work with you. I've seen a few people over the years being successful in convincing NGC to do the multi holder (but I'm not sure what it took-maybe a lot of convincing and a willing NGC rep).

Hommer likes this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

PCGS bulk is 100 coin minimum with a max of 5 different date/mm/type combinations.

NGC bulk requires the highest level of membership and the last time I saw it charges you more based on how high they grade and is something like a 100 as well. I cant remember all the details or if its changed recently. I'm not even sure varieties are possible on bulk submissions

You're much better off having the coins graded individually if you want them graded. Very few people like the big multicoin holders and you would find them much more difficult to sell if you ever decided too

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    Hommer likes this.
  8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I would much rather have my graded Proof sets in separate holders. It gives you a lot more options when it comes time to sell.

The only possible way this might help is if you an original set, that has been kept together since it was issued, from the 1800s and the early 1900s. Even then consecutive serial numbers might be a better way to go.

ldhair likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted