Graded Paper?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Jwt708, May 17, 2014.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Hello!

I'm interested in hearing some opinions on graded paper. I also have a couple questions.

So coins have their basement graders, how about paper?

Is it wise to stick with the two major grading companies?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Hello..
    First off, my opinion is one based on personal preference.

I would suggest that you research the Paper Grading Companies and even call them to ask questions about your concerns.
    For me I have always used PMG and PCGS in that order for Rare notes and even when selecting notes for purchase that were already graded.

Do not go by anyone's opinions..only your opinion will matter most to you.
    Be creative and do some homework, you just may be surprised to learn something quite different.

Good luck to you ....I am sure you will make out just fine.

RickieB

green18 likes this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks Rickie!

5. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

PMG and PCGS are the two market leaders for currency grading. They are impartial and reliable. The new CGA is legit in my opinion (designated by a star on the front or back of the holder). However the old CGAs grading standars were too loose and cost the company their reputation and in turn the premium their notes command.

RCGS is okay in my opinion. Notes from them cross grade to PMG and PCGS pretty well, but they dont command the same premiums.

CGC grades the notes they sell. I dont trust them due to conflict of interest.

CEC is a guy who grades every note a 70. Stay far away from CEC.

Squaredeal and Jwt708 like this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very good funkee, thank you!

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I know some people are annoyed about resurrecting old posts, but I have this exact question and was wondering if @funkee's answer still holds. I'm primarily a coin collector, and trust myself to buy raw coins, but I don't know much about paper. My only real collecting interest is that Charles H. Treat is a relative of mine, so I've considered picking up some of the notes from the late 1800's and early 1900's with his signature on them.

8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I will add that Superior Grading is one I use and would consider a viable choice for paper money grading.http://www.superior-grading.com/

Quick turnaround, accurate grading, and affordable prices.

[​IMG]

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I stick with PMG. I have my coins and they are first but I fell in love with CSA bills, especially the errors and hard to find notes. If I had a way to take and post photos I would. Sorry.

Endeavor likes this.
  10. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

Whoops, the bill is a $2 but the label says it's a $1.

Endeavor likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's what you call Superior-Grading. Pun intended. :joyful:

Endeavor likes this.
  12. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Draft saved Draft deleted