Grade?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GH#75, Apr 7, 2021.

1. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Based on these photos, what do you think the grade is? The reverse is significantly harder to capture a picture of, (I don't really know why) so you'll have to trust me that the only mark (on the rev.) is the one in the field under the memorial building.

There are 3 larger contact marks that stand out on the obv. One on Lincolns cheek, and 2 above and below "Liberty".
    IMG_20210407_175024972.jpg
    IMG_20210407_181001990.jpg

If you have any idea on grade, please comment. My thought on grade is around MS67+. But I don't really know, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

4. GH#75

There's literally 4 marks on the coin worth notice. I have a proof coin with 3 easily visible contact marks graded 69. I think I have enough experience in grading to say it isn't a 65.

I mean, thanks for the reply but... There's no way.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  5. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Sorry I would go higher but its a zilincon.

6. William F

William F Well-Known Member

MS66+, Its pretty nice.

GH#75 likes this.
  7. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that great tbh. I see the contact marks plus the split plating around the mint mark (not sure if they downgrade for that). I've pulled nicer ones out of rolls recently. I'd say maybe 65 or 64. Definitely not 67.

9. GH#75

Huh. I would have thought the coin would grade higher because it is a zincoln and easier to damage... Like morgan dollar with bag marks. All of them have it and don't look too good, but they always grade higher than I would have thought.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Splitting hairs on otherwise common coins.........eccentric burden......

capthank, Two Dogs, Maxfli and 2 others like this.
  11. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

My first impression is 65 too. It could easily be an MS67+ coin IMO but the marks on the cheek and forehead are too distracting. 66 is a fair grade too I guess.

Kevin Mader and GH#75 like this.
  12. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

My opinion and just that, an opinion.
    It's nicely centered and well struck, even his cheek mole is present.

However. Right above that mole is a contact mark on his cheek that's pretty significant, theres another on his forehead, then theres a shallow one below the B in liberty and another above the R in liberty and the small one above the 4. The rest of the obverse has some small chatter marks that add up but not significantly.

On the reverse it's relatively clean but again there's a significant contact mark between and above the E and C in one cent. Also a small one on the sixth column, the one to the left of lincoln.

I now look back and realize you noted most of thsee marks.

As a whole I can get to MS66. And this is on the centering and strike deductions for the dings

I'm extra critical on my own coins, I only have one view of this one here. I can't judge the luster for instance from the picture. It may get MS67 if luster is stunning and cartwheels without interruption or highlighting the contact marks that are minor also, but it's not going to get to MS68.

MS65,66,67 it's like $5-10-15. MS68s can get to the $100-175 range. It's a nice example though, I'd love to have it in my cent folder, it's just not "clean" enough to get into MS68 and higher where the money is in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  13. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Well stated John. You caught everything that I saw and more. It's a nice coin, one that would definitely make my roll collection but probably a flip. Great find to snag from the wild! The cheek ding is unfortunate since its in a most conspicuous location. The chatter blemishes distract a bit, but in hand, I don't think that would be the case. I agree that it shouldn't be a significant detractor.

Fun coin to look at and have in ones collection!

GH#75 and MIGuy like this.
  14. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

15. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Because it is a Lincoln cent no more than 65. Sorry but with billions made every year more than 1 or 2 marks brings it down.

GH#75 likes this.
  16. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

65. I assume the luster is very nice but there's too much chatter in the obverse fields for the coin to grade any higher.

GH#75 likes this.
  17. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I don't think it would look out of place in either an MS65 or MS66 holder. I like it at MS65+.

GH#75 likes this.
  18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

19. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

MS-64, Red

If the services still to bulk grading for modern coins like this, you could get a higher grade. That would be because I've seen them do a sloppy job, not because the coin is really better.

Many years ago a dealer I knew who sent in what had to have been a few hundred Sacagawea dollars for bulk grading. The grades seemed to be on a bell shaped curve with, at best, limited regard for the real grades. There were pieces in MS-64 holders that were better than pieces in MS-66 holders. I joked to myself that they threw the coins down the stairs, and the pieces that made it to the bottom got the highest grades.

Dynoking and GH#75 like this.
  20. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

Not a 67. Harsh bag marks/scratches. At best 66.
    Stay safe.

GH#75 likes this.
  21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

His forehead.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted