Grade your coins for $10 each, what a deal!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by longarm, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Jacnum7

Jacnum7 Active Member

At a show ICG does grading for Ten dollars, but nobody like ICG anyway.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

A dealer I've done a lot of business with calls ICG I Can't Grade!

Insider likes this.
  4. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

On one of the forums or boards there was some talk this past month about this grading service. There was a question about one of this guys slabbed coins. Where he graded a 1914d lincoln. People were questioning if it was an altered one. Someone sent a msg to him I guess and got his reply that he doesn't not grade according to the sheldon scale if it is damaged or whatever because each coin should get a number. So you evidently wont see him body bagging coins or grading something as a details (no ms number). You send him for example a quarter that might be MS65 except it has been harshly cleaned you will get a coin graded ms something with no mention of the cleaning.

5. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

i have been wondering what to do with my rare parking lot finds.

Insider and JPeace$ like this.
  6. Jacnum7

Jacnum7 Active Member

That dealer is just prejudiced against ICG. Randy C. is one of the finest graders in the country.

Insider and BadThad like this.
  7. Jacnum7

Jacnum7 Active Member

ICG gets a bad rap and there coins don't have the value of PCGS or NGC but the grading is top notch.

Insider likes this.
  8. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

That may be true, but Heritage Auctions won't auction a coin graded by ICG. They'll ask you if they can send it to one of the big two to get it into another holder. That's what they wanted me to do with an ICG coin I sent to be auctioned. I asked for it to be returned and then sold it at a show.

9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

That may be so, but their reputation in the market is not good. It will be a long, steep climb to respectability for them.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

seriously?

oh, if you are serious, they are a 6th tier basement grader.

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

12. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I can only speak for the Lincolns I've bought in ICG slabs...but the grading on those was spot-on!

Insider likes this.
  13. Jacnum7

Jacnum7 Active Member

I believe that Heritage won't auction ICG coins. Again ICG does not get the respect or the price. If I want the most value out of my graded coins I send it to NGC. For my own collection I use ICG.

Insider likes this.
  14. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Only trust the top four (PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG). Everyone else pretty much overgrades disgustingly. If you see a coin in a slab that isn't from the top four, just treat it as a fancy 2x2.

Insider likes this.
  15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

For my purposes, I cut the list even further to PCGS and NGC. ANACS is not totally off the table, but I have yet not been able to find what I want in the top two.

Not trying to trigger an argument about grading services. Just saying how this one collector approaches slabs.

16. Jacnum7

Jacnum7 Active Member

I don't see any argument here. PCGS & NGC are the top two and ANACS has their own specialty like errors. ICG was already discussed. I don't like PCGS as a company, they are a little snippy to me. Too good for the little guys.

Insider likes this.
  17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I'm not a VAM collector but some of the VAM collectors say ANACS is the place to go to get those attributed.

18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Theyll attribute some PCGS/NGC won't so you either have to use them for those or send your coin off to the VAM stickering service if that's still around.

19. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Shoot. I'll grade your coins for $10 each. I've got just as much credentials/experience/reputation as these guys.

Heck. Post good pictures on here, and I'll grade them for free. My opinion will carry just as much weight as these guys.

20. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

http://www.anacs.com/contentPages/Specials/DollarsandCents_Special1.aspx

ANACS is just an hour drive for me. So I hand-delivered my Morgans. Nice folks, very helpful.

They said about 4 weeks for grading. That's fine -- I'm in no hurry.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  21. HKUP

HKUP Member

When I went back to collecting recently, after a short 55 year hiatus, I bought an 1879-S Morgan MS-66 graded by this alleged grading company. I recently had it graded by ANACS and it came back AU-58; just a small difference. So I e-mailed the seller and after he told me to send it to PCGS and NGC (on my dime), he then had the spheres (since I guess I can't say it another way on this forum) to advise me that he couldn't guaranty a coin that he bought graded. Thank you all for educating me over the past year.

Draft saved Draft deleted