Grade/Value #2

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Youngcoin, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Hello everyone, another morgan I'm wondering about (the grade and value that is) also would it be worth sending in? Well here it is!

20171021_190528.jpg 20171021_190534.jpg 20171021_190551.jpg 20171021_190604.jpg 20171021_190631.jpg

Thanks,
    Jacob

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Hi Jacob, I just wanted to let you know that it's hard to grade a coin based on your photos. Your first obverse photo and first reverse photo are well lit and focused, but they're angled. Can you take photos of the coin with the camera parallel to the coin so the photo is flat? Also, I can at least tell you that it's not worth sending in for grading.

Two Dogs and longshot like this.
  4. Youngcoin

Yes ofcourse I'll take more as soon as possible, just when I take direct photos their really bad.

Thanks,
    Jacob

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

It looks polished to me, so it is a problem coin.

Dynoking and Insider like this.
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Can't tell anything from his pictures. You can make good coins look bad and bad ones look good from pictures like that

Cascade likes this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I can't say with 100% certainty, but based in the pics he provided, I can detect polishing. As with any coin, seeing it in hand could change my mind.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  8. Youngcoin

Here some new pics.

20171022_124025.jpg 20171022_124034.jpg 20171022_124047.jpg 20171022_124048.jpg

Is it polished?

Thanks,
    Jacob

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Who doubts me now? :D

Insider likes this.
  10. Youngcoin

Thank you @C-B-D for future reference can you tell me what makes you think it's polished (like what are some give aways).

Thanks,
    Jacob

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

In the obverse, look at the cheek and face first. See how the original skin and luster is completely removed? It almost looks like a clay sculpture... tiny imperfections... as in the bag marks blending right into the surfaces. Then look in front of the face. Surrounding the design, stars, and letters, you'll see a halo of glow, indicative of some sort of cleaning. But polishing can be seen in the hundreds of tiny divots in the surfaces, where metal was moved... made to appear somewhat like original flow lines or luster. But compare to another coin and you'll see the difference. Your coin has been stripped of all originality.
    The same can be seen on the reverse. Look at the circled areas. 20171022_130601.jpg 20171022_130515.jpg

12. Youngcoin

Dang, yep its polished alright does the take away alot of value?

Thanks,
    Jacob

13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it's worth melt plus a little historical value. In the current market, $22.

14. Youngcoin

Thanks CBD that really is unfortunate.

Thanks,
    Jacob

15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

You may find someone on eBay to give you $25 or $26... Are you a collector of Morgan's? Trying to build a date set or just looking for a nice problem-free example? It takes a while to learn to see the difference between true luster and a cleaned or brightened coin. I remember back when I couldn't tell. It baffled me!

16. Youngcoin

Yea I really like the morgan series, I'm trying to find a nice problem free example for a future 7070 album here's what I have so far.

1508694279526342081068.jpg 1508694308132270743572.jpg 15086943499081546262354.jpg 1508694386673553688053.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Jacob

17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

A lot of common date common grade morgans have a minimal premium as a graded coin. It'd be cheaper cracking one of those out than getting a bunch hoping they're okay as you learn more what they should look like

C-B-D likes this.
  18. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I am kinda surprised that no one said the word "whizzed" yet.

That dollar is a classic example of a whizzed coin.

19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

David Setree Rare Coins, posted: "I am kinda surprised that no one said the word "whizzed" yet. That dollar is a classic example of a whizzed coin."

Perhaps the reason no one said "whizzed" is because the coin is not whizzed. Whizzing is an alteration that leaves a very specific characteristic on the relief and field of a coin. It is not present here. What did you see?

@Youngcoin If you were my son or daughter, I would advise you to ONLY BUY COINS GRADED BY THE FOUR MAJOR GRADING SERVICES until you learn the "ropes." It is not easy as many long-time dealers still have a lot to learn.

Cascade likes this.
  20. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

My thought was like a sand blasted effect since it was only around the outer areas.

21. Youngcoin

Haha thank you but don't worry I didn't purchase it for much, only 5 bucks so still made money on it.

Thanks,
    Jacob

Draft saved Draft deleted