Grade these two IHCs

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by KurtS, Mar 29, 2015.

1. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

I came across these two IHC obverses--they were given the same exact grade from the same TPG.
    What would you grade them to be--A. vs. B.? I realize it's not terribly accurate to grade a photo, but let's have fun anyway. ;) Both coins also happen to be the same obverse die.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

MS-64BN.

They both look to have Longacre Doubling.

KurtS likes this.
  4. robec

robec Junior Member

Just a guess - AU58BN

KurtS likes this.
  5. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I agree, looks like a touch of wear on the hair of both.

KurtS likes this.
  6. KurtS

I think A. definitely shows high-point wear. If I put B. under my macro lens, I might find wear too. I'll add that both coins were graded MS.

robec likes this.
  7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Both coins are 1882 FS-01-1882 -401 Misplaced date in neck. Coin one ms 62 RB the second ms 63 RB. Both are superb examples of a variety IHC.

KurtS likes this.
  8. KurtS

Right! That's what got my attention in the first place--both are attributed on the holder, and both are graded MS63 BN. But, based on what I'm seeing, I'm inclined to grade A. ~AU58. Both coins were side-by-side on a dealer's page--I know which one I would pick, although that one is priced $250 less.

robec likes this.
  9. Paddy54

For $250 less I take the cheaper as both are really nice .

robec likes this.
  10. KurtS

I would too--or even option C: cherrypick my own. :D

mark_h likes this.
  11. Paddy54

That's even better :)

KurtS likes this.
  12. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Agreed Paddy- seems like a lot of these are turning up lately. I would have put both the coins above in the MS range. The coin on the left has some weakness in the strike, but it does not look like wear since it is not exactly flat like I would expect. Now if both coins were priced the same I would buy the coin on the right. Had to edit to get the right coin. :)

KurtS likes this.
  13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Too hard to tell, since the pics don't really give a good indication of luster. My first thought was that both looked weakly struck, with not a lot of hair detail. The one on the right at least has 4 full diamonds. :) Based on only the obverses, I'd say MS64 BN, or AU58 BN, depending on what I'm looking at is wear or weak strike on the hair and ribbon, particularly on the one on the left.

KurtS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted