Grade Opinions - 1879-S Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CamaroDMD, May 28, 2021.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

One of my goals has always been to assemble a graded set of Morgan Dollars. Cost and just generally being overwhelmed as stopped me from starting seriously collecting my favorite series. I think it's time to start taking that seriously.

I think the first place to start is by examining my raw collection and seeing if there are any coins in there "worthy" of being in such a collection. Coins I might want to one day have graded rather than buying another example.

Here is one such coin. A common date 1879-S (the common Rev of 1879). But, I would like your opinion on grade. I have a grade in my head...but I want to see what you guys think.

Please note, I am not asking you to GTG. This coin is raw. So, I have no grade to reveal. I just want your opinions.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

I see marks on the cheek and some hidden in the field so I will say MS-64

OldSilverDollar and CamaroDMD like this.
  4. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

MS65+ at least in my opinion. Nice skin to boot.

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

64+ with eye appeal. Could very possibly certify at 65.

OldSilverDollar and GeorgeM like this.
  6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I would say MS-64. It has a figure print or two which keeps it out of the "Gem Quality" MS-65 level, but standards are lower today.

7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I would say MS-63 .

8. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

MS 64 but, the toning may be hiding something that could knock it down to a MS 63. Looks to be original.

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Great toning.

10. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Very pretty. I'd say 64-65

11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I love the coin. It has appealing, original toning, great luster for a toned coin, clean surfaces, and is strong on eye appeal. I would normally say that it would be MS 65, but given the fact that TPGs are tough on the 1879s, 1880s, 1881s, and 1882s, it would net grade as MS 64. I would definitely have it graded, and add it to the full set.

GeorgeM and Anthony Mazza like this.
  12. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Nice one 64,wouldn't surprise me if its gem.

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

My compliments to the photographer, first off. Secondly, the way they grade them, these days, MS66 and CAC.

14. Morgandude11

Except for the date. TPGs are brutal on that date. Same as an 1881s. They would net grade it as a 64, because of the date. It is a gem grade coin, but I have seen stunning 1879s coins graded as 64, when they are obvious gem grade.

15. Morgandude11

Just for comparison, here is my 1879s.
    321A43BB-DF2E-41C6-886E-D13BEEBF8B0D.jpeg DC62CDD4-E6A1-4F77-8157-D50D52321429.jpeg

16. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Just a wild guess at MS64 or 65. Looks just like mine which I bought in 1990 in a ANACS soap bar holder. It was fully brilliant then and graded 64.

17. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

MS 64, and a chance of 65 with nice original surfaces, worthy of TPG in your set.

OldSilverDollar and GeorgeM like this.
  18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The one that sends this babe over the edge for me is that toning, they like that toning. I can’t describe it other than to say it’s uniform and a compliment to her age. You can’t fake that. And next to a blast white, I’m thinking, move over, you dip, who are you trying to fool?

OldSilverDollar and Morgandude11 like this.
  19. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I think MS-65 is quite reasonable.

I don't like the toning but that's a personal thing.
    But I don't think it significantly affects the grade.

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

If the fields and cheek are as clean as the photo shows, I'd send it in as part of a larger batch (not worth all the fees on its own)....looks to be a 65...64 if they are conservative with the date and 66/66+ if they are having a good day at the office

21. Morgandude11

Agree completely. If it is 66, it is a $300 coin, and well worth sending in. If it is a 65, it is still a $200 coin. Makes sense to grade it.

OldSilverDollar and ddddd like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted