Grade Opinion Please: 1928-S Peace

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by vpr, Nov 13, 2013.

1. vpr

vpr Active Member

Appreciate any opinions I can get on this one. Looking to sell it, but need to know what to price it at. A grade estimate would really help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

coinsrus1000 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

AU 53. Wear on high points, and that nasty rim nick. Otherwise, a nice coin.

BUncirculated and coinsrus1000 like this.
  4. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I'm having a hard time with the first pic in trying to determine if it is a strike or breaks int he luster with the coin. The 28 S and even the 25 S are known for the pour strike . I would say that this is an above average strike for the this date. In saying that I have to believe that the dullness in the high points are wear issues which tells you it is AU. I give it an AU 58 but could change that to a low MS grade if I had the coin in hand. I think the lack of detail on the reverse with the eagle's leg is strike however the dull spot on the high point of the wing is wear. Nice coin, it has some dings but a nice coin.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  5. Morgandude11

I think it is a solid strike. To me, there are luster breaks from the high points--that is why I say AU. The rim nick is also a pretty bad one. However, the coin has considerable eye appeal, and I would definitely have one like it in my collection. That is a tough date to find a nice coin!!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  6. vpr

vpr Active Member

I was hoping for a low MS. Thanks for the opinions! Listed it in the For Sale section, if anyone is interested.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  7. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I'll go AU-55.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

MS-62...........

9. vpr

vpr Active Member

Ahh... Now, I'm torn. Do I sell for it $100 or get it graded? I love the light toning and the luster. Some of the MS coins I'm seeing on Ebay look awful in comparison. Any idea of what it will cost if I ask a coin shop to send it in for grading? PCGS.

coinsrus1000 likes this.
  10. coinsrus1000

coinsrus1000 Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Nice peace dollar I stink at grading but what do you guys think of this find crh it's a silver proof image.jpg

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm not sure it would grade. The obverse looks like it was worked on to me.
    Edit to add. My post is about the OP coin.

12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I have to agree especially the left field , and then there's that damage under In God We .

13. Morgandude11

Hard to say. The coin is definitely NOT MS. As to whether or not it would grade, you bring up some valid points about the field on the left side. I think the coin has some light wear, as opposed to damage or work--that is why I said AU. However, it is possible that there is the remnant of a previous harsh cleaning, in which case you would be right--details. The photos don't show enough detail in terms of whether or not the damage is sufficient to prevent a grade. The rim nick alone is pretty bad, and there is wear in the high spots for sure--so no way MS.

rzage and Tater like this.
  14. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

My first thought was cleaned. It's tough to tell from the pictures, but the fields just seem to have something going on especially at 9 o'clock. The area around "In God We" also has some type of issue. There seems to be some heavy dings in the area.

Can you take pictures of the coin straight on?

15. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I've seen that type of damage, plancet error, etc under the "In God We" before but have never been able to figure out what it is or how it happened. I think the coin has too many issues, possible damage, rim ding, etc to send in for grading. If you do don;t be surprised if it comes back in a genuine or details slab depending on who you send it to. Even if it is MS its low grade IMO 61 0r 62 and still not worth the cost to grade. I still feel its in that 55 to 58 range. Hope this helps.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  16. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Exceptionally well struck for all Peace Dollars, let alone for the normally soft 1928-S. While I only think the coin will grade AU58, I would tack on an extra $50 for the incredible strike for that date.

By the way . . . I would not spend the $30 or so to grade this coin, as you are unlikely to recoup that investment.

Tater likes this.
  17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

AU53 for the OP. And dude, don't hack other people's posts. o_O

rzage likes this.
  18. vpr

vpr Active Member

Sorry, no more pictures. I had a friend take these pictures with his professional setup because I'm just awful at it. I agree that it is well struck. A lot of peace dollars in MS grade I've seen don't look this good. I wish the observe wasn't as dinged up.

19. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

I'm in the same neighborhood on grade. In addition to the wear and rim nick there are the scratches on the obverse near the L in LIBERTY, as well as the hits on the face and neck.

Draft saved Draft deleted