Grade Opinion 1870 Half Dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by kSigSteve, Jun 17, 2020.

1. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Here is a raw 1870 half dime. It has a small rim cud at 12 o’clock and some attractive toning. What do you think?

4FC0E41F-8EFB-4BE9-A3DE-CEE6B52EA868.jpeg 75B91B5A-7BD1-4AF8-8680-4BC5936F9FB4.jpeg 24BC6067-3E8F-4829-971C-536788D48CB8.jpeg 044BC881-9311-4D80-A645-F9FA9E0DD9C2.jpeg

Paddy54, ddddd and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I am not a half dime expert, but looking at your coin, I think it would grade MS-Details due to the scratches. But that's just my first impression. Others opinions with more familiarity with half dimes will be appreciated.

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

AU 55 would be my guess (based on the pictures I don't think it's scratched or cleaned...just normal circulation).

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This like alot of half dimes has been cleaned and dipped and retoned . As far as grade goes i give it an Au 55/58 from the images provided.
    Most collectors of half dimes know that they were kept in albums that caused them to tone.... back in the day all tarnish was removed as toned coins were not in Vogue.
    I accept 9 out of 10 have been messed with....the same for alot of coinage from that time peroid. Album stored coins were subject to the sulfur in the paper thus they turned most black .
    This specimen i believe wont grade just a detailed slab .
    Thats a shame as the condition is very nice with crisp details.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Dynoking, johnmilton and Mojavedave like this.
  7. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I agree with Paddy54 assessments. I also believe the wreath on the left reverse has a poor strike.

Dave

Paddy54 likes this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would be cleaned AU55 as well. No coin 150 years old will be that blast white. Also, look at the streaky toning on the obverse. This is usually associated with cleaned/retoned coins.

Paddy54 likes this.
  9. Paddy54

Dave that is a possibility, but that area wears do to the raised devices, but a lot of half dimes do have a strike issues in that area also.
    The plenty of details on this coin but it shows the signs of being messed with.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'll be simple as I don't collect these. I like it!

11. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

These coins are so small. I was having trouble seeing the wear. The luster seems very flat but wasn’t sure if that was from a dip and re-tone, circulation, or from an old cleaning.

It’s definitely not lower than AU55 to me. I was worried about what looks like a scratch in the shield. Not sure if that would details it either. The color really pops in hand and the fields really pop like a proof would.

12. Paddy54

This is one reason I seldom buy graded h 10's... most raw sent in won't grade..
    Trying to collect varieties and die marriages one can't always find natural skin coins.
    When i started to collect half dimes my goal was xf/au...and in the begining they were pretty plentiful....not any more...cap bust in good to fine conditions are near 75/100$.
    Seated are better as far as inventory condition can be an issue.
    So to obtain dates and mint marks I had to lower the bar..
    But...by doing so i have been able to aquire more specimens, and varieties I was searching.
    Like everyone else I would love to have better grades....but some varties are just hard to find.
    So I buy what ever I can find a specimen that is a variety or die marrage needed...and alway up grade the coin when ever possible.
    But no matter all half dimes are welcome in the collection from unc...to Good condition.
    All appreciated for their life spent in the early days of this nation commerce .

13. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Yep ! Paddy, --- It is a noted fact that this area is the first place to look for wear.
    My poor strike judgement is based on the fact that the coin has great details with no signs of overall wear.

Dave

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I think that coin has been cleaned, and that it has acquired secondary toning after it was cleaned or dipped. The “shine” on the piece looks unnatural and not like mint luster. There are also many small scratches perhaps from the cleaning. I don’t think that this coin will get a straight grade from a TPG.

Dynoking and halfcent1793 like this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I like the coin but I'm at AU details. The cleaning and the reverse marks will hold it back.

halfcent1793 and Paddy54 like this.
  16. Paddy54

You are 10% correct....again years ago I would be very particular over the specimens I would buy....now a days you be lucky finding 1 in 25 with natural skin.
    The op coin is a nice coin that was toned in an album, harshly cleaned dipped.
    Its funny when I do walk a show looking for h-10's one would be surprised that youll see h-10's that are so bright and shinny....those are set to the side as i know without a shadow of a doubt they been messed with.
    Show me a nice battle ship grey, or even darker....most of that are toned you can see they have been cleaned and retoned....
    This reason alone i never send tnem in as I know that pretty much will bounce back details.​

17. johnmilton

There are good half dimes around. I kept this one after I bought a Proof for type because I like it and the date. It is graded MS-64.

1860 Half Dime.jpg

18. Paddy54

If you had a better image i give you the variety or marriage. I cant tell the date is burry.

19. johnmilton

You can try these. If they don't work, that's all I can do. The vaults are all closed.

1860 Half Dime O.jpg 1860 Half Dime R.jpg

Dynoking likes this.
  20. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

Looks about 58 ...

21. Paddy54

You can be my eyes....there are 2 RPM's
    The 001 is a Valentime -3b Breen 3099
    The entire date is repunched.
    Look below the base of tne 1 the 8 punched north,the 6 also repunched north,and the 0 is an easy as it shows doubling both N & S.
    There are no die markers to give you.
    The 002 is an 1860/1 another easy one as the flag on the 1 is very easy to see the repunch.
    Values on the 001 xf 60. Au 90 & ms 150 /300 depending on grade.
    The 002 again has no markers to go on.
    The values I have listed are xf 50,Au, 80, & ms 100/250 .
    From what i can make out on your specimen it does look like an 001 as the 0 is so easy to spot.
    Another tid bit the 1 on the 001 is a different type than the 002
    The 1 on the 001flag has squarer serif, as the 002 the it is more pointy.
    From what I can see it is the pointy flag type.
    The 1860 half dime was a transitional year ,
    There's a chance that yours could be the design of the 1859. Smaller Medium date the rev. Is the new design.
    Researching further and what I can make out from your coin, it looks to be a Valentine 2
    Slight numerals ;medium high date ,the rev both ribbons touch the wreath.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    johnmilton likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted