Grade my Morgan, please.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Timewarp, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

My wife received this from her Fathers estate. I would like your opinion on it's possible grade. Lookin thru the grading book, I came up with MS 60, maybe 61.

Harolds bday 2.JPG Harolds bday.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think it's better than 61......about 63/64. The spotting on the coin was probably caused by an improper rinse.

Chris

JPeace$ and Tom B like this.
  4. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

I'm in agreement with you,

5. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

If not for the spotting, I would have guessed a MS63 or Ms64. The spotting seems pretty prevalent, though, so it could very well drop it to a 61.

6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I'm in the MS63/64 camp and the spots may have been there since it was minted. Peace dollars from 1922 and 1923 are also commonly found with similar spots.

7. jrt103

jrt103 New Member

ms63 is my guess

8. Lucky Cuss

Lucky Cuss Cobrador de Plata

Being it's a 1921 Philly, this becomes a purely academic exercise. Valuewise it's going to matter very little whether it grades out at MS-60 or MS-63.

Endeavor, Yankee42 and Galen59 like this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm thinkin' Chris nailed it. '63/64 were my first thoughts.........

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yeah, but OP mentions that it was part of his wifes' fathers estate so the coin is most valuable indeed..........:)

11. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

Thank You all for your grading opinions. I believe I'll go with MS61 for our collection data base. If I ever send it in to be TPGed and it grades higher then it's a bonus.

12. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

MS-62/63

13. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

From the picture angle, I can't get a good feel for the cheek. For some reason, this looks like it was polished. Not the fields. Even with the poor dip rinse, there's still plenty of luster left in the coin. It's just that Ms. Liberty's cheek is a reflective as the fields. That's not common for a Morgan. Usually the devices are frostier. Again, it might be the angle of the picture.

Without better pictures, I'll go 63 max.

14. cpm9ball

I wonder why the OP removed the photos so soon? Strange!

Chris

15. jrt103

jrt103 New Member

I can still see the photos

16. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

So can I.

Also, I would give the coin a grade of MS62.

17. cpm9ball

Okay! The photos are back for me. It must have been a small case of indigestion.

Chris

18. Jabbss651

Jabbss651 Member

63 but I would be concerned with the spots, I looks like it maybe went for a lil dip. Pics can be deceiving but that dip may get it knocked down a notch or two...or worse

Draft saved Draft deleted