Grade my ABC Peso!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by mackat, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Interesting coin and interesting history.

mackat likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

Interesting, what do you mean by that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It was only a guess. The one in the pcgs slab has the same style of Hairlines. They are not part of the minting process, and were either missed by the grader, Or, acceptable, and the coin was in a felt lined dispay cabinet, before it got its plastic tomb.

mackat likes this.
  5. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

I understand, thanks for the input! At some point I'll probably send it in, hopefully it'll be viewed as acceptable and get graded normally.

6. CLC2010

CLC2010 Member

That 1937 PCGS MS61 could've definitely gone either way. It seems like grading companies give the rare stuff more room on such issues, but that may not be the case. About 5 years ago I walked into a LCS and they had just gotten in a 1937 peso. I snatched it up for a very good price. It's an AU coin. I'd still love to own that MS61 coin. And you should be proud to own the one you have regardless!!

7. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

That's a great story, I'm sure you were happy to have found that one! I was thinking the same thing, I guess grading can just be a tricky business sometimes. I am quite happy with mine and the price I paid for it, so for now I think I'll just enjoy it in the Air-Tite :)

8. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Here is my copy of the 1939 graded AU58 by ANACS. I see the same hairline scratches. I would love to have your coin in my collection of Pre-62 Cuba. I purchased my copy from a dealer located in Florida. The 1939 has a lower mintage, 9,200,000 compared to the 1937 at 11,500,000, but the 1937 has a higher value for some reason. Perhaps the 1937 experienced some melting that reduces the available coins. I would send that coin off for grading if it were mine.

Cuba 1939 Un Peso.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  9. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

Thank you for the advice, your 1939 looks very nice too! I think I will send mine in at some point. Also, here is the reason why 1937's are so scarce:

"Some 80 million silver Pesos were held in bank reserves until 1951, when most were sold for their contemporary value as silver bullion. The Bank, in keeping with the traditions of courtesy that permeated Cuban society before the Castro years, reserved a small supply of each A.B.C. date for future collectors. By some oversight, all bags of 1937 coins ended up on the Havana dock for loading aboard an anchored freighter, but workers dropped one of the sacks, which burst and scattered coins in all directions. Not all were recovered, and the few escapees are the source of virtually all 1937 Pesos accessible to collectors in 2011."

sonlarson likes this.
  10. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

MS-63 would be my guess.

mackat likes this.
  11. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

This morning I took the coin out of its Air-Tite and looked at it again. I was thinking of submitting it to NGC through a local business that does that. Unfortunately, the hairlines are looking even more obvious under the LED than I thought they did before :(. I'm doubting that it would grade if I send it in.

I'll probably just end up selling this one somehow and getting an already-graded one for a reasonable price when one comes up. I guess the lesson learned is to not buy such hard-to-find coins raw at this point.

12. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

Update: I changed my mind and gave it to the store to send in. I couldn't stand not knowing what it'd grade. I'm expecting the worst, and will be very happy if it does end up getting a numerical grade!

sonlarson likes this.
  13. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I have good news! I've been checking the NGC census for the last week or so and this is what it's looked like:
    [​IMG]
    I checked it a few minutes ago, and now this is what it looks like!
    [​IMG]

There's one more in the MS-62 column! Now, I can't say for sure if that's my coin or not, but as I doubt many of these are sent in, and MS-62 seems reasonable for mine, I'm assuming it is. Let's hope I'm right! :)

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  14. CLC2010

CLC2010 Member

That would be awesome! Let us know asap. Maybe instead of being cleaned it was die polishing? Hope so.

mackat likes this.
  15. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

I just checked with the shop, and unfortunately that was a false alarm; mine's still waiting to be graded :(

Let's hope for the best! :)

16. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

WOW!!!

The last few weeks, I've been checking the NGC census and refreshing the cert number page quite a bit. Even this morning, nothing was there, as NGC has apparently been slow lately, but lo and behold, this afternoon, there it was!!! For some reason it still doesn't show in the census, but I would think it should soon.

The result?

MS-64!!!!!

I'm extremely happy to say the least, as I expected MS-62 or even MS-61 (I wasn't even sure if it would get a straight grade). I'm very, very happy with this outcome! :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Good choice, sending it in. Looks real good sitting in that Ngc slab!

mackat likes this.
  18. CLC2010

CLC2010 Member

Homerun!!! Congrats and thanks for the updates. That's a $500 coin. Guess those were die polish lines and not scratches. The different lighting in the photos makes a difference too.

mackat likes this.
  19. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

Thank you!!! I'm extremely pleased with the results!!

20. lopezcoins911

lopezcoins911 New Member

Here's mine [​IMG]

mackat likes this.
  21. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Congrats on the score with that 64. I'm late to the party, but I would have guessed 63 from your initial pictures.

I really like these Cuban coins. I've contemplated collecting them, but I don't have the money to add another collection right now. Cool coins!

mackat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted