Grade my ABC Peso!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by mackat, Feb 18, 2017.

1. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

Hi,

I recently bought a 1939 ABC Peso which I am enjoying a lot. I'm not skilled at grading coins, so if you don't mind, I'd like to know you guys' opinion. I know grading over the internet is not the most accurate, but I think it's still interesting.

Thanks!
    Ben[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'll hazard an MS-63 Ben..........:) Nice coin, and one that I've never seen before. Perhaps some history on this issue? I'm lazy, and the google thingy is tedious. I'd rather hear it from a fellow collector.........:)

Kentucky, Hispanicus and mackat like this.
  4. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

Thanks! I was thinking somewhere around MS-62 or MS-63, so I'm glad at least one person agrees with me! :)

The ABC peso was minted from 1934-1939 in Philadelphia to back up Cuba's paper currency at the time. From my understanding, most of them were kept in government vaults in Cuba until they decided they didn't need them anymore and melted a lot of them. It's called ABC as that was the name of a group that worked to oust the then dictator Gerardo Machado (and put yet another one, Fulgencio Batista, in his place). I really like the Art-Deco inspired design and was lucky to find this one for a reasonable price at the Long Beach Expo. They're hard to find on the internet as eBay automatically takes down any Cuban currency, even if it was minted well before the embargo and by us.

Paul M. and green18 like this.
  5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

MS-63 with rim nicks?

mackat likes this.
  6. green18

What's the composition Ben?

mackat likes this.
  7. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

.900 Silver. It says that and how many grams it is above the coat of arms. :)

green18 likes this.
  8. green18

Totally missed that, as I was focused on the design. Still, not much of a take-away. :)

mackat likes this.
  9. green18

Most kool. :)

mackat likes this.
  10. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

Overall, it's a very nice looking coin, with few obvious visual imperfections. The only defects that really stand out to me are the edge dings, this small bit of green stuff under the U in Cuba: [​IMG] and this scratch which is only visible in certain light and only stands out because of how thin it is: [​IMG]

In your opinion, do you think it would be likely to grade with, say, NGC, or not? Why?

11. green18

My opinion is that the coin would grade 'clean'........everything looks natural and un-messed with.

mackat likes this.
  12. green18

Personally, though, I'd leave it be in its' present state. I love raw coins, and only buy graded ones when I want them graded. I never submit........I always make some other poor devil do it for me........:)

mackat likes this.
  13. green18

To paraphrase George Patton, no man ever won a war by dying for his country........he always made some other man die for his.

mackat likes this.
  14. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

Thanks! At some point I might look into sending it in to NGC either through a dealer or if I ever get an ANA membership. I've never sent one in before either, as I typically buy them already slabbed if I want them that way. I think this one would look nice in an EdgeView slab, so we'll see :). For now, it's in an Air-Tite, and I'm quite happy with it!

green18 likes this.
  15. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

One more thing:

In the right light, I noticed that there are some fine scratches on the back of the woman's head area:

[​IMG][​IMG]

What are these? Would a TPG grader be likely to call them 'hairline scratches'?

Thank you!
    Ben

16. CLC2010

CLC2010 Member

Those appear to be surface hairlines so the coin would most likely end up in a details holder. This is one of my favorite Cuban peso coins and they are pretty tough in high grades.

mackat likes this.
  17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I agree, they are little stinkers to find 64+ because of course, I want one and can't find one that will satiate my desire for Cuban silver.

mackat likes this.
  18. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

One of the very nice things about a lot of Latin American silver coins, they are clear on what it should be.

mackat likes this.
  19. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

That's what I was afraid of. What is the threshold between being marked down a grade or two and being put in a details holder? I haven't really gotten why the TPGs put so much importance on a such a small thing that can only be seen under an LED light at an exact angle.

Edit: take this (quite rare) one for example, that's graded PCGS MS-61 and was snuck on eBay

[​IMG]

Do my eyes deceive me, or do I see surface hairlines in the exact place as my own?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Michael K likes this.
  20. green18

Ya know? Sometimes, when ya light up a coin with a super mag glass, you begin to see things ya don't what to see. Just sayin'..........:)

mackat likes this.
  21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This is the highest point of the coin. It could be the slightest amount of cabinet friction.

mackat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted