Grade Morgan 1893S Prior to reslab

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Marine1, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Marine1

Marine1 Active Member

Picture 40c.jpg Picture 39b.jpg Thanks all in advance
    M1

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Fine Details due to mark on the jaw

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Agreed on f12 ish. And it does look details but not from the minor gash. It appears to have had an attempt at a partial cleaning to brighten it up. The question is, will the tpg net straight grade it being a 93s.

6. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

That may just be the lighting during the taking of the picture.

7. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I think it grades Fine. Could just be the picture, but might be cleaned.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Thought about that but the right angle "L" in the cheek would suggest otherwise no?

9. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Hard to tell exactly from the picture. Might have to ask the OP if the coin in hand looks like the pic.

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

F-15 details (cleaned).

11. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm seeing VG-10 on that Morgan. I think it might details grade though, it looks like it's been cleaned.

Part of what looks odd, is just a product of the photography. You can see it in the slab, it was shot near a window and there is a bright white wall reflected on the right side and a dark object that is on the left/upper portion of the slab. It's the area shaded in red in the image below.

Picture-39c.jpg

Cascade likes this.
  12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

F12 Details, cleaned. I agree that the reflections on the slab are probably contributing to the look of a cleaned coin, but I still think it's been wiped a little too aggressively once too often.

13. Marine1

Marine1 Active Member

I am auctioning this coin on HA in New York and you guys/gals are good!! F-15 details cleaned ANACS slabbed 1997, If I can get a F details out of PCGS if be happy.
    ANACS is not the way to go on HA. about 18% lower than Greysheet in my experience. BTW not cleaned (OR TONED ;) ) by me as It came a from Hong Kong dealer originally.
    M1

14. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Woo Hoo, I win. Please pack it carefully when shipping it my way.

Why try to cross if you are sending it to auction? ANACS is respected enough to trust their opinion on authenticity and F-15 details is about the best that you'll see.

Marine1 likes this.
  15. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Especially true, since PCGS will not give a numerical grade. They will simply assign Fine Details, which leaves it to interpretation. F-15 is at the top of the Fine category, I'd leave it there.

16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

For a Morgan anacs tends to bring the same money. Especially key dates. I would only cross it if it had a chance at vf details, but it doesn't. If you're stuck on crossing it I would only do it if heritage will do it for free for you

17. Marine1

Marine1 Active Member

Good point and HA agreed to a freebie on the coin due to the fact I have sent 42 Morgan CC VF+ and an 1895 O AU 58+ (Toned). that was the least they could do besides the consignor said the would most likely purchase it or sell it outright to another dealer (If I could get 4.5 K who cares ), not I. :banhappy:

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'd grab the money and run at $4.5k, considering that's $1000 over retail for F15 in a righteous slab, much less a Details one. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted