Grade it for me?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mike185, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

I picked a couple for quarters today just wondering if you guys would give a grade them for me. I have wrote down why I think they would grade at Just want to see if I’m close or not. There nothing special..

31522529-5460-4705-96C2-ED20930493E2.jpeg 606C9AD3-4A8D-4D62-BB4D-18E49053B88B.jpeg C6A299FD-E05B-42D9-9C81-F99FBD4C386A.jpeg 77639793-5389-4D15-A47E-581EDE031018.jpeg

Collecting Nut likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

Proof 67
    And MS 66
    I think I did that right.

Mike185 likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

PF-67
    MS-65

Very nice but not worth the cost of grading.

Penna_Boy and Mike185 like this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

PF-67 and MS-64

mikenoodle and Mike185 like this.
  6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Trying to grade a proof coin from those pictures will be a wild guess at best. It appears to be nice, but not sure about exact grade or cameo designation. It also seems the picture were taken from an angle.

Mike185 likes this.
  7. Mike185

I know that..
    Still trying myself on grading ms coin!

My guess was 67 and ms 64.. the surfaces are really clean of any marks

here are pic from above..

9BA06FB4-6E75-4E0A-BA89-81C23B636469.jpeg 314F9A4D-F10D-4A28-8441-1CCB291F1F34.jpeg 0CE930CC-166C-467C-AE1A-C27E04732F70.jpeg ECFD7D20-0E4D-4386-B4FE-3968833FBAA0.jpeg

8. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

As earlier stated tough to grade accurately from images, but:
    PF 67
    MS 65 The MS quarter is soft on the reverse, else very nice coins!
    Gary in Washington

9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Both proof 66.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes they were, but so what ?

And please don't misunderstand why I'm asking the question. Ya see, I'm well aware that it's commonly repeated that coin pics "need" to be taken from straight on, no angle whatsoever. It's almost like it's a mantra of some kind to a lot of folks. But do they really "need" to be taken from straight on ? Or, is it even a good idea at all ?

Consider this. When you're looking at a coin in hand to judge it, grade it, examine it, how do you go about doing that ? Do you only look at the coin from a straight on angle ? Or, do you slowly turn it to all kinds of various angles so that you might see what you really need to see ? The answer of course is that you slowly turn it at various angles so that you can see what you really need to see.

So if that is the case, then how can it be a "bad" thing to take coin pics from a slight angle ? Or perhaps more importantly, how can it be a requirement that coin pics only be taken from straight on ?

The OP's purpose in this thread was for folks to grade the coins. So how can that best be done ? Now I suspect some are going to have differing opinions on this, but let's look at the 2 pics of the business strike obv and then decide which one tells you the most. Which one does the best job of allowing you to see what you need to see ?

Pic 1, at an angle -

[​IMG]

Pic 2, straight on -

[​IMG]

Now neither pic is perfect, but I think pic 1, at an angle, does a far better job of allowing us to see what we need to see in order to judge the coin. And I think it probably does a much better job of presenting the coin to us as it might look in hand. I think the color is more accurate, I think the luster is represented more accurately, I think everything about it is more accurate than what we see in the straight on pic. And I think all of this is true because the pic was taken at a slight angle. And I think the reason pic 2 doesn't do this is because it was taken from straight on.

Now like I said I expect there to be differing opinions, but that's mine. And why I asked the question - so what ?

Spark1951, JeffC, micbraun and 2 others like this.
  11. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The 83-S I'd say at least PR66, probably higher. Trying to grade proofs in this range from a photo is a fool's errand.

The 64 feels like MS65, maybe 66. Very clean coin, but somewhat tired looking luster.

Mike185 likes this.
  12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I think the obvious answer to the so what question is that when a picture is taken at an angle my first thought is that it is at an angle to hide a flaw. Now as was pointed out, you turn a coin in hand at all angles to see everything on a coin and some angles show flaws and some hide those flaws. Same can happen on a straight on shot by moving the lighting around.

However, by showing the coin straight on you take out the "why is THIS angle being shown and not a straight on shot"? Also because it is the convention, a straight on coin shot can be compared to other coins of the same series, mm and year. I think those are the basics of why we like straight on shots in my opinion.

Mike185 likes this.
  13. Mike185

Thank you all of guy replies. Just to let you guys no I wasn’t trying to hide any flaws ( which they don’t) I have a hard time determining grades in the MS and PF. Like I said I thought the 83 was PF67 and the 64 was MS64 because it was missing that luster. I’m not try to sell or make money. Going into my collection and going to be there for awhile. I bought bother of them for $ 1.75. So I believe I done well and ahead on these two coin and I did buy a v nickel that looks to might has some good detail but is covered in Gunk. I will post later.

Thank Mike

14. Collecting Nut

I have you your 500th like. Paying that price was a good deal. You're getting better at grading but it takes a lot in that area to be successful. Happy New Year!

15. Mike185

Wow!! Really don’t watch the likes. Thank you! Guess I need to lol

Collecting Nut likes this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Funny!

Mike185 likes this.
  17. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

I agree, the angle is not all that important if the seller is not trying to conceal flaws. At times (especially with proofs) a colored (usually black) backdrop is inserted beside the coin so that when the image is taken the black is mirrored in the coin. Nice effect, BUT the shot must be done at a slight angle, so that the black is reflected.
    Gary in Washington

edited to fix quote tags

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2019
  18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

67 cam and 65. The 64 is clean enough for 65 not enough luster for more

Mike185 likes this.
  19. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

PR 67, Are those developing milk spots I'm seeing?
    Solid MS65 on the '64

Mike185 likes this.
  20. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The '64 looks like a proof to me. Satiny, but a proof.

Mike185 likes this.
  21. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

It does have a Type B reverse.

Mike185 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted