Grade Inflation? 1873 Pattern Trade Dollar - You Decide

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Inquisitive, Nov 22, 2016.

?

Are these the same coin?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I don't know if it is or it isn't the same coin. What I do know is that there are literally millions, and millions, of coins in NGC and PCGS slabs with grades on them today where those grades are 1,2, 3, and sometimes more, grades higher than they were previously.

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It's not inconceivable that they're the same coin, but I feel the 2003 images are too weak to offer conclusive evidence. One thing that's for sure is, the coin has been given extensive help in achieving "PF63CAM" by comparison to other issues being offered the same grade. It's very weakly struck in the center, not cameo at all there, which would be a complete dealbreaker for a Proof of a circulating issue. And, as evidenced by the plate coin at US Patterns:

http://uspatterns.com/j1315.html

....it can be found well-struck. Therefore, you can't just say, "Well, none of them are well-struck so we might as well grade on a curve" (despite the fact that you_don't grade coins on a curve).

So, yeah, like Doug said. If the PF61 is the same coin, it's the more realistic grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted