Grade for 1799 Bust Dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by FishyOne, Oct 5, 2010.

1. FishyOne

FishyOne Member

This coin is in old style ANACS slab. What grade would you assign it? Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I'd call it a VG10. I don't think there is enough meat to warrant a 12. Looks like a well worn... but still nice example.

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Yep - I agree VG10. I think it looks nice.

5. CappedBustDimes

CappedBustDimes Senior Member

I could be wrong as I don't have the reference here but, I think it's the BB-142 / B-1 marriage given the crack from S2 to O1.
    The reverse looks close to terminal.

Stars Arranged 7 left & 6 right on the obverse
    1799/8 Overdate with 13 Stars on the Reverse
    Leaf tip under center of I/Berry below right foot of A
    Die deterioration around I2 on reverse

6. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

7. FishyOne

FishyOne Member

Thanks CappedBustDimes, I appreciate your input. Yes, it's a B-1, 1799/8 Overdate, 13 stars reverse. It's in problem-free, old-style ANACS holder and as you might know, these huge coins take up most of the slab. : ) I'll post a pic of the slab later.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

First off, I know next to nothing about this series in particular, but if it is anything like the large cents of the same period, many are very weakly struck centrally..

So, the coin appears to me to be very weakly struck, with not nearly as much wear as appears from the lack of central details. I wonder if this variety is not known for this. To see what I mean, look at the small amount of wear on the dentils and compare that to the nearly obliterated eagle on the reverse.

I'll guess ANACS took this into account and the coin graded F-15.

Very attractive coin -- I like it a lot.....Mike

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I can believe that it is not a strong strike, but I cannot see 15. I am torn between a 10 and 12.

10. FishyOne

FishyOne Member

ANACS graded it VG10 which seems fair to me. I believe the obverse could go F12 but the reverse, even with the striking weakness, is VG8. I'll try to post better pics when I receive it. Thanks for the input!

[​IMG]

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

That last photo makes the coin look quite different.

Regardless, perhaps I should stick to copper. :)

12. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Very important point. Thanks, Mike.

Another item... notice how some of the reverse stars are fairly strong, but those to the northeast of the eagle's head are almost non-existent ? Sure looks like a weak strike - or perhaps a warped die.

I think this coin has a solid chance of pulling an F12 today.

Overall, a nice look. A touch of iridescent color around the rims... always cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted