Gotta love those old type coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mojavedave, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I love old type coins. What do you think of this ? or this ? Image392.jpg Image393.jpg Image394.jpg Image395.jpg

mark_h, dwhiz, phankins11 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

1847 is a Valentine 1 heavy date all numbers touch base,bottom of 1 and 7 near edge,1 and 8 recur reverse heavy lettering . Nice coins.

5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I Like the seated liberty designs more than the barbers. My favorite is the 1837-38 no stars on obverse. Makes the seated design look less cluttered. Nice coins nonetheless.

treylxapi47 likes this.
  6. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

7. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Very nice! And unlike modern issues that are proliferating like mushrooms, they aren't making any more of them!

NSP likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Love the older coins. They have style and grace. Today's are lacking so much of our history.

NSP likes this.
  9. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

That half dime elicits memories from my reading of the history of the American Civil War. In both fictional and non fiction writing about that war authors quite frequently refer to the five cent piece of the time period as a "nickel". You have no idea how many times I have written to authors to get it right. The five cent piece of the war was the silver half dime (or five cent fractional postal currency, if paper).

swamp yankee likes this.
  10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Half dimes are one of my favorite series to collect. Plenty of history there.

Draft saved Draft deleted