Gothic silver - An unexpected pick up

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

After a grueling almost two month wait, my twins from Leu finally arrived this week. I don't generally like to post coins until I actually have them in hand, especially since Leu was robbed within the past year after concluding an auction!

I did not plan on acquiring this coin, because I did not think my middling bid would win it! Still a very welcome replacement for the AE of his that I sold a couple years ago.

Ostrogothic kingdom
    Athalaric, 526-534
    AR Quarter Siliqua (0.6g)
    DN IVSTIANVS, Diademed bust (of Justinian?) Right
    DN/ATHAL/ARICVS/RIX within wreath
    ZomboDroid 24012020164930.jpg

Elevated to the throne at the tender age of 10, Athalaric was the grandson of the famous Ostrogothic king Theoderic, who managed to bring some semblance of stability to the lands that were once called Rome. Young Athalaric's mother wanted him to have a proper, Roman education and upbringing to mold him into a literate, cultured, and wise king.

The Gothic nobility, however had other plans, and gave him a proper Gothic upbringing of underage drinking, premarital carnal knowledge, and round-the-clock partying. Athalaric lived a long and happy life, dying at the ripe old age of 18.

Athalaric inherited from his grandfather a mint staffed with workers who were among the last to be trained in the traditional Roman way; thus his coins are ironically some of the finest produced in Italy since the first sack of Rome in 410 AD. These miniscule quarter siliquae are rare, but almost always found in excellent state of preservation, and are usually quite legible for an 11-12mm coin, even if about 1/2 to 2/3 of them say RIX rather than REX

Have any to share? Let's see them!

Plumbata, Marsyas Mike, TIF and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Neat little coin, congrats.

Finn235 likes this.
  4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Finn235, Nice score on your 1/4 Siliqua :D! The 10 Nummi coin pictured below I won at auction last year at a modest price. It's in pretty rough shape like most of them :(.

Ostrogoth 10 nummi.jpg Athalaric 10 nummi, obv..jpg Athalaric 10 nummi, rev..jpg

5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I only have coins from Theodorich I
    Here is one struck in name of Eastern Roman Emperor/ Zeno lf (4).jpg lf (5).jpg

6. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice pickup @Finn235 A very cool coin

Finn235 likes this.
  7. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Thanks all and very nice coins Al and Panzerman!

I wish the barbarian coins of the early dark ages weren't so rare and expensive - it is a fascinating field of numismatics, and brimming with dream coins

681083.jpg Theodorictriplesolidus_zps7dc7f768.jpg

@panzerman - Any idea how the imitative solidii are classified? I have never understood how a good style imitation of Zeno could be attributed to a specific ruler?

Draft saved Draft deleted