Featured Gotarzes II is in double trouble

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Well, I've finally caught up to where i can start posting my Baltimore show wins from last month. How about we start with a nice double-struck Parthian?
    Gotarzes II tetradrachm.jpg
    Parthian Kingdom, Seleukia-on-the-Tigris mint. AR tetradrachm. Gotarzes II (c.40-51 AD). Dated 361 Seleukid Era (=49/50 AD), month off flan. Obverse: Diademed bust of king left. Reverse: King seated right, receiving diadem from Tyche who holds cornucopia, Greek inscription around. Multiply struck on both sides. Sellwood 65.25-27, Shore 362. This coin: Purchased from Marcos Xagoraris (Aristos Ancients) at Baltimore Whitman Coin Expo, November 2019.

Vardanes I and Gotarzes II were brothers from different mothers, though both were legitimate offspring of their father Artabanos II (or IV, as we discussed earlier). Artabanos died in 38 AD. Details of the succession are unclear, but it appears Gotarzes may have taken the throne briefly, only to be overthrown. Gotarzes tried to reclaim the throne, aided by Dahae and Hyrkaneian nomads, but the brothers were temporarily reconciled and agreed that Vardanes could retain the throne, while Gotarzes withdrew to Hyrkaneia (a region southeast of the Caspian Sea). Vardanes went on to crush a rebellion in Seleukia (which is its own fascinating story for another time). History records that Gotarzes eventually rebelled, and the rebels were defeated by Vardanes, but Vardanes was then assassinated during a hunting party, leaving Gotarzes to claim the throne in 45. However, dates on the tetradrachms (which bore month as well as year) seem to indicate that both kings issued coins at the same time from Seleukia-on-the-Tigris for a period of over a year, starting in January of 44. Perhaps the two kings shared the throne for a while, and this was left out of the official histories? At any rate, Vardanes exits both the historical and numismatic record in 45, leaving Gotarzes II sole occupant of the throne.

Gotarzes II was not a nice guy. After overthrowing his brother to claim the throne, he proceeded to execute many other family members and other nobles who he perceived to be a threat. Eventually a group of nobles went to Rome and asked for a replacement king to be sent for them. Meherdates, a son of Vonones I living at Rome, was sent back to overthrow Gotarzes. Unfortunately Meherdates was betrayed by some of his allies and captured alive. Gotarzes chose to show mercy and spare Meherdates' life, but sliced off his ears with a sword, as a physically mutilated man would not be accepted as king by the Parthians. (When your kindest recorded act is mutilating a man, it's safe to say you are not a kind person.) Gotarzes died soon afterwards, whether by natural causes or murder is not certain.

The history behind this coin is interesting, but I was first drawn to it by the multiple strikes. The obverse, if you look closely at the face, seems to have been struck at least three times. The reverse shows at least two clear strikes, which have the effect of decapitating Tyche. Despite the multiple striking issues, the king's face on the reverse is surprisingly clear. This coin was also pleasantly cheap- just $50, due to the wear and the multiple strike (which some collectors would dismiss as ugly). Please post your coins of Gotarzes II, or double-struck coins, or whatever else is related.

GeorgeM, Shea19, zumbly and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I eyed a double strike of one of these too, didn't get it as I didnt have the funds.

Great buy though!

[​IMG]
    Gotarzes II (44 - 51 AD)
    AR Drachm
    O: Diademed bust left.
    R: (OΛCIΛCΩC) OΛCIΛ(EΩN) (Λ)I(3 dots)IΛNO(V) ΔIXΛIOV I(3 dots)VI(3 dots)PΓI.TO(V) (EΠ)IΦΛNOVC (ΦIΛEΛ)ΛHXO(C), / Archer (Arsakes I) seated right on throne, holding bow; monogram below bow.
    Ekbatana mint
    20.5mm
    3.77g
    Sellwood 65.33; Sunrise –; Shore 364

Shea19, zumbly, Curtisimo and 8 others like this.
  4. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Informative write-up, and interesting double (or more) struck coin, Parthicus. Thanks for sharing.

The brothers, who obviously went to the same hair stylist:

v1g2.jpg

The Vardanes was struck in July 44 AD (355 SE); the Gotarzes in 49/50 AD (361 SE - month is off flan).

Shea19, Curtisimo, TIF and 5 others like this.
  5. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@Parthicus, an enjoyable post and interesting double struck coin - quite a bargain from my perspective. Here are my tetradrachms of these rulers - both struck in 355 SE. This coin may be a fourree - there appears to be a copper core showing on the reverse.
    Vardanes I Tet.jpg
    Vardanes I (AD 40-47), AR Tetradrachm, Seleukeia mint, struck AD 44 (15.12g)
    Obv: bare-headed bust left with short pointed beard wearing diadem with loop at the top, hair in four waves, ear covered, wart on brow
    Rev: king seated right on throne, receiving palm from Tyche holding cornucopia; Greek legend ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΝ / ΑΡΣΑΚΟΥ ΕΥΕΡΓΕΤΟΥ / ΔΙΚΑΙΟΥ / ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΥΣ ΦΙΛΕΛΛΗΝΟΣ; year date ΕΝΤ above palm (355 S.E.=A.D. 44); month in exergue is off flan
    Ref: Sellwood 64.20-27 (months differentiate these 8)
    Gotares II.jpg
    Kings of Parthia, Gotarzes II, AD 40-51, AR Tetradrachm (14.63 gm). Seleukeia mint. Struck January 355 (AD 44) ΠΕΡΙΤΙΟΥ ENT
    Obv: Diademed bust left
    Rev: Seated king right, receiving diadem from Tyche
    Ref: Sellwood 65.1 (January 44)

Bob L., Shea19, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  6. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Yes, Parthian tetradrachms are great coins. Here's my Gotarzes, from the month of Panemos (June) of the year 48 AD. I love those beautiful Macedonian months' names.

5152 Gotarzes ii ct.jpg

Gotarzes II (40-51). AR tetradrachm. Obv. Bust to the left, long beard. Rev. King enthroned to the right, Tyche holding diadem & Cornucopia; Date HNT (358) ΠANHMOV (June) = 48 AD. Sellwood 65.1; Mitchiner MAW 642; Shore 359. 28 mm, 14.65 gr. From the collection of Anne van 't Haaff.

And here's a tiny AE of the sad usurpator Meherdates, formerly known as Vonones II.

5169 MEH.jpg

Meherdates (usurper). AE chalkous. Obv. Facing bust with crown and ear flaps. Rev. Male deity holding an eagle in his hand, looking to r. in an archway. Sellwood 67.4 (‘Vonones II’). 10 mm, 1.62 gr. Cf. Sunrise p. 140-141 and Triskeles e-sale 20 (2017), 363.

Parthicus, Bob L., Ed Snible and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted