Got Wood?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BadThad, Aug 13, 2009.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Amazing! Totally amazing! Now I want a wood penny. I gotta keep my eyes open, I never really noticed this posting. most cool!! :kewl:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Does this count?

Attached Files:

4. jhc

jhc Junior Member

I posted a washed out photo of this in another forum, I was asked to post this new photo here.

I used a different lighting set up to get it closer to its true color. I originally used a normal light bulb and these were taken under 2 natural color florescent desk lamps.

It is still a bit on the lite side but it is getting closer.

Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just a question now Thad - but are you sure that isn't an applied wood grain ? People do fake these things because they know there's folks like you out there who like to collect them and will pay premiums for them.

That big round spot on the shoulder makes me somewhat suspicious - because those dark streaks just suddenly stop.

6. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Come on Doug, who's going to take the time to "apply" woodgraining to a coin worth one cent? LOL I got this coin from a Brinks bank roll. I also washed it with water and rinsed it with xylene to make sure it wasn't organic from being rubbed across something. You never know with these circulated wonders.

7. I didn't realize this was a form of error. I have found one or two in change. I thought it was a form of post mint damage. I will have to look for them, I know I kept them as an oddity, they are probably mixed in with my other damaged coins that I thought were interesting, and kept.

It doesn't appear they happen on current composition cents, does it?

Also, does it only happen when the coin starts to turn brown? IE, if they are going to have that affect, will it be noticable the day the coin is made or not for a while?

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Fair enough. had you mentioned the xylene I'd have never said a word. But don't fool yourself into thinking that they won't fake these. Your own words - "I've never seen anything like it." - with your level of knowledge, that alone should make you suspicious.

And as for being worth 1 cent, I'd bet you could get $10 out of it easy. Make 100 of those and what have got ? All for a couple hours of work.

9. BadThad

LOL, indeed my friend, indeed.

As for $10, I'd sell it in a heartbeat for that. For you, I'll make it $9 with free shipping! :kewl:

10. dracula370

dracula370 Mmmmmmm......Bacon

Now I got a second Woody....

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. cubenewb

cubenewb Consumer of Knowledge

Are there steel penny woodies?

12. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

14. BadThad

Oh man....that VDB is one of the nicest I've seen! NICE!

15. BadThad

What did PCGS grade it at? Looks to be around 65/66.

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

If I can read his titles correctly, 66RB.

17. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

wow, Illini, that is nice!

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1924-

Attached Files:

19. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

[​IMG]

Correct, it graded PCGS MS66RB and was part of a group of original rolls of VDB cents that had been in a vault for a few decades that was recently submitted. I was lucky enough to get in touch with that dealer who submitted them and I got two coins which graded MS67RB (a pop 3 coin) and I bought 6 of his MS66RB examples. It was really fun to be able to look through around 150 or so freshly graded 1909 VDB cents and cherrypick out the best looking examples :)

The dealer also cut me a nice price since I was buying several. He also knew he was making a ton on these since he bought the original rolls many years ago for $59 per roll!!!!! So at around $1 per coin + $8 per coin in bulk grading fees, he didn't even have $10 in each coin!

And since they were all from the same rolls, all of them had a very faint woodgrain effect on them, though it really is only noticable on the toned examples.

Edited to add pics of the MS67RB examples which show very slight woodgrain:

MS67RB #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MS67RB #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yKnot likes this.
  20. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Nice Lincolns everybody! I fell in love with this obverse design when I first saw one in hand. Are darksides allowed?

Attached Files:

21. cubenewb

cubenewb Consumer of Knowledge

For experts on Woodies:

Is the wood grain effect an active process? For example, if I purchased an MS level coin with this light wood graining:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Will the wood graining get stronger over time? Or is it circumstantial?

Draft saved Draft deleted