Got Viminacium?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TJC, Apr 19, 2018.

1. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of slowly working on a third century subset of Viminacium coins. The Gallienus below is a new addition and Viminacium coin #3 for me. I find the Viminacium mint interesting because of its unique position as Roman Military camp minting AE provincial style coinage with latin rather than greek legends. The dating system for these is also unique. The emperors dated the coins by the local year rather than by regnal year. (See chart below) These are often times in horrible condition and are challenge to photograph and yet I like them.

ANNO: Period
    I july 239 - july 240
    II july 240 - july 241
    III july 241 - july 242
    IIII july 242 - july 243
    V july 243 - july 244
    VI july 244 - july 245
    VII july 245 - july 246
    VIII july 246 - july 247
    VIIII july 247 - july 248
    X july 248 - july 249
    XI july 249 - july 250
    XII july 250 - july 251
    XIII july 251 - july 252
    XIV july 252 - july 253
    XV july 253 - july 254
    XVI july 254 - july 255
    http://www.viminacium.nl/English Introductie.html

Gallienus is the last emperor to mint the signature AE bull and lion coins in year 254-255 and although Gallienus coins are easy to come by, Gallienus AE coins from this military camp are a bit harder to find. This example has a the typical green patina often found on these. I like the pretty green but do wish that surfaces were a bit more even and that the thick patina was not quite as thick, but it does not look like the surfaces have been smoothed and is close to being in an as found condition. Overall I am thrilled to add this to my set. I have provided a couple of photos of the observe to better show the coin. I will need to photograph this one again sometime.

Show your Viminacium coins!

GallienusViminacium339O2.jpg GallienusViminacium339O1.jpg GallienusViminacium339R1.jpg
    Gallienus AE27, 11.76 grams
    Provincial Sestertius?, Viminacium, Moesia.
    O: IMP GALLIENVS AVG, laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right, seen from the back
    Rx: PMS C-OL VIM, Moesia standing facing, head left, holding hands outstretched over a lion and a bull. Year mark AN XVI, year 254-255 AD

Pick 192; Martin 7.13.1.
    had easily . This example has a the typical green patina often found on these. I like the pretty green but do wish that surfaces were a bit more even and that the patina was not quite as thick, but it does not look like the surfaces have been smoothed and is close to being in an as found condition.

Here is an Aemilian. Year AN XIV 15, 252-253 AD.

AemilianViminacium339xO.jpg AemilianViminacium339xR.jpg

Aemilian AE of Viminacium, Moesia.
    IMP C M AEMIL AEMILIANVS A, laureate, draped bust right
    PMS-COL VIM, Moesia standing with hands outstretched over a lion and a bull. Date AN XIV in exergue. AMNG 179, Martin 6'01'31

My last Viminacium is this Hostilian, son Trajan Decius. Year 12, 250-251.

HostilianViminacium339O.jpg HostilianViminacium339R.jpg

Hostillian, as Caesar, AE27, 10.64 grams
    Viminacium, Moesia Superior. 251 AD.
    O: C VAL HOST M QUINTVS CAE, bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rx: PMS COL VIM, Moesia standing facing, head left, hands outstretched over a bull and a lion at her sides. AN XII,

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice little subset @TJC

I am pretty sparce on the Viminacium Front... but I really do not collect The Empire coins... but here are mine.

RI Aemilianus 253 CE AE24 Viminacium mint Moesia Bull-Lion - Damnatio Memoriae.jpg
    RI Aemilianus 253 CE AE24 Viminacium mint Moesia Bull-Lion - Damnatio Memoriae

RI Hostilian 251 CE AE 27 Viminacium Moesia Bull-Lion.jpg
    RI Hostilian 251 CE AE 27 Viminacium Moesia Bull-Lion

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Herennia Etruscilla from Viminacium:

Etruscilla Viminacium.jpg
    Herennia Etruscilla, AD 249-253.
    Roman provincial Æ, 12.67 g, 27.45 mm, 7 h.
    Moesia Superior, Viminacium, AD 249-250.
    Obv: HER ETRVSCILLA AVG, diademed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: P M S COL VIM, Moesia standing left between bull and lion; ANXI (year 11 = 249/50) in exergue.
    Refs: SGI 4220 var.; BMC 3.18, 32 var.; Pick 136; Moushmov 48.

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..one of my most prized is a Viminacium..it is my only one from there i believe.. i'd like to add Alegandron's and RC's kincoin to mine (and or yours too :)..very collectible coins peeps! :) Hernninus Etruscus Mosia Superior Vinimcum 001.JPG Hernninus Etruscus Mosia Superior Vinimcum 002.JPG Herennius Etrucus Mosia Superior Viminacium

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Here's my PTA...

[​IMG]

Philip I, the Arab, 244 -249 A.D., Viminacium, Moesia Superior

O: IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, from behind; R: P M S COL VIM, Moesia standing facing, head left, extending hands over bull on left standing right and lion on right standing left, AN VIIII (year 9 of the Viminacium colonial era..248 AD) in exergue . Varbanov I 138. 28 mm, 17.9 g

7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great coins all. I can see me adding more of these Viminicium AEs to my collection. This is one of my favorite lower cost coins.

Philip_I_AE30_244-249.jpg
    Roman Empire
    Philip I, AD 244-249
    AE30, Viminacium mint, MOESIA SUPERIOR
    Dia.: 30 mm
    Wt.: 17.4 g
    Obv.: IMP M IVL PHILIPVS AVG
    Rev.: PMS COL VIM
    Ref.: Martin 2.10.1, Varbanov 132

gogili1977, TJC, Bing and 4 others like this.
  8. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted