Got these at my local bank yesterday

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by daniel a DiBiasio, Dec 28, 2021.

1. daniel a DiBiasio

daniel a DiBiasio Well-Known Member

I'm still in shock from buying these babies from my bank yesterday.I was at the counter doing a transaction and happened to see the teller next to mine counting half dollars and asked her what year they were.she rattled off 1964 for each of the seven.My heart jumped and I asked her if I could purchase them for face value,she said no problem.I can't believe none of the tellers would know the value of these.I also am shocked whoever cashed them in would do this . I'm betting it was someone's grandparents that had these sitting in a drawer since they got them.A couple of these are well preserved.Is it worth having those ones graded? 20211227_180118.jpg 20211227_180209.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Awesome score! There are a lot, if not the majority of 64 JFK halves in exceptional condition. They were hoarded at the time by virtually everyone. They had just lost the man and it was the last year for silver... They just didn't get out of peoples sock drawers, so there are plenty of 64's in high grades. I would treasure the awesome score but I wouldn't spend the cash to have them graded.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

DO NOT have them graded [sic] or slabbed.

they are all worth melt.

Great finds

5. daniel a DiBiasio

daniel a DiBiasio Well-Known Member

Thanks,it's the best bank score I've found .IN the past I've gotten the 40 percent Kennedys.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Great score. I would get donuts for that teller for sure.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice pickup but not worth grading. None of the ‘64’s circulated as that was the last year 90% silver was minted and people loved Kennedy and he was just killed the year before.

8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

At the right place at the right time, very lucky indeed!

daniel a DiBiasio likes this.
  9. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother with grading, unless by chance you have one of these.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Nice haul but like the others, I wouldn't pay to have any graded.

11. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Methinks it may have been grandchildren who received them from their grandparents; or on a more sinister note, a sibling or grandchild who just took them and spent them not knowing their value. Either way, great luck and congrats!

12. sel w

sel w Active Member

great find

13. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Good for you for paying attention!

Draft saved Draft deleted