Got some doubled dies on these nickels

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Shrews1994, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

236.jpeg 240.jpeg 238.jpeg 248.jpeg 247.jpeg 250.jpeg 254.jpeg 256.jpeg 258.jpeg

Attached Files:

• 252.jpeg
      252.jpeg
      File size:
      569.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shrews1994

268.jpeg 270.jpeg 266.jpeg

Attached Files:

• 264.jpeg
      264.jpeg
      File size:
      496.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I see DDD, especially the one with the heavy flow lines.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

First nickel is Die Deterioration Doubling

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

does the surface of the die, the flat fields get striated like the coin flow lines are ?

7. Shrews1994

Ok. I thought. But what about the 1976? The s really looks it.

8. Shrews1994

And the 1972 the word cents looks thicker.

9. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

The dies appear to be well past their expiration date! Definitely appears to be DDD.

10. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

neither are doubled dies....

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Yes, as the die wears Flow lines are worn into the die face.

Clawcoins likes this.
  12. Clawcoins

that's one mangled looking die

13. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Nice close up photos, but ask yourself:

Do you see any separation of the letters,
    or do they look 'shelf-like'? See the 2nd thru
    about the 6th photo - all flat doubling, no
    separation.

Kentucky likes this.
  14. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Die deterioration doubling, not a doubled die. They really used those dies well...

15. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Die deterioration doubling, not a doubled die. They really used those dies well...

Edit: duplicate post in the same topic, sorry.

16. Granbeck

Granbeck Active Member

Would someone please post side by side pictures of "separation of letters" and "shelfing". I would have also thought that some of these pictures showed doubling.

17. Clawcoins

With true Doubled Die (or DDO [DD Obverse], DDR [DD Reverse]) Think of the letters being stamped Twice on the Die. And thus the Die itself has two of the letters with some portion of overlapping.

From some of the reading I was doing the outer letters, and dates are stamped separately from the rest of the side. Thus the reason only certain things, and not necessarily all of the face is doubled. Though I don't know about those in complete detail.

Versus the dies' Letter/Number detailed edges being worn down.
    notice the thickness of the regular L. As the die is worn down, the edges loose their detail and creates a shelf like pattern. A thinner L, and thickness may increase though creates a shelf pattern with the Machine Doubling example.

Mechanical Doubling Example.jpg

This 1969 S DD Cent shows obvious Doubled Die. See the separation of the letters

Think of the Letters and Numbers as a inverse die being stamped offset of where it should be. The "Y" in liberty isn't as offset as the "L" in Liberty thus showing the rotation of the master die to the working die.

Thus the reason the 1 9 6 and 9 show less doubling with the 1, and more as you get to the last 9. It's rotated slightly with the outer letters showing more rotation due to being further from the center.
    [​IMG]

Versus Shelf Like "doubling" or mechanical doubling or die deterioration doubling.
    [​IMG]

more information => https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5688/Double-Dies-vs-Machine-Doubling/

hope that's close to correct info for Fred.

You can create your own "test dies" by using Silly Putty. use a small strip of it on the letters, peel off and put back on slightly off center and create a doubled image of the letters.

Also, in 1996 they started using the "single squeeze" die making which creates a different type of double die errors which I haven't really figured out yet.

Oldhoopster, PlanoSteve and SammyMann like this.
  18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

But that doesn't mean it's from the die.

We're looking for die-doubling, because that's a major screw-up. Dies are made carefully from hubs, which are also made carefully. Coins are made carelessly from dies. If you go on YouTube and look up how coins are minted, you'll see it for yourself. Coins are minted rapidly, like machine-gun fire. Obviously, under high magnification, it would almost be a miracle if one could find a coin that came out perfect. Then consider the condition of the dies, after prolonged use. Do you see the deep crevases in your 1987-D? Those are from dies that are deteriorated, starting to fall apart. They're from dies that were hot and stressed from all the pounding into the planchets to make the coins. Dies don't last forever, either, just as coins don't. That's why, in the minting process, they're greased. Grease is slippery, the coins slip more when they're struck, and show it after they're struck. The grease also cakes into the recessed surfaces on the dies, clogs those surfaces, and that shows up on the coins.

In a nutshell, if you're going to look for doubled dies, start by studying-up on them. This is what a doubled-die looks like. Note how the letters hold their shape, and aren't smashed, mangled or distorted. When it's from the dies, it will look like this, with the impressions just slightly offset. They'll be very close to the same height off the coin, too. Here you go...

1972 Y 5D DDO2.jpg

19. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

That is about the best written and visual explanation of Doubled Dies I've seen. Thank you for that.

Clawcoins and PlanoSteve like this.
  20. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Wexler's Doubled Die site has some really good information. Read the sections on Doubled Dies and Worthless doubling

eddiespin and PlanoSteve like this.
  21. Granbeck

Granbeck Active Member

This helps a lot and I will save this. Question though - Is the 1969 date DD or not? I have a coin where the doubling look exactly like this, but it was deemed to be MD by the CT experts.

Draft saved Draft deleted