Got myself this spanish 1815 8 reale coin today, was fairly priced in my opinion at $75.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Snorlax93, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Snorlax93

Snorlax93 Active Member

20200923_202959-0.jpg 20200923_202850-0.jpg also noticing a possible mint error on the reverse right on and around the 8R denomination? Might be simply damage but looks more like a crack in the planchet to me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Nice coin. Good price.

Penny Luster likes this.
  4. Snorlax93

Snorlax93 Active Member

Thank you :) seemed pretty solid!

Penny Luster likes this.
  5. Penny Luster

Penny Luster Well-Known Member

6. Snorlax93

Snorlax93 Active Member

So I'm reading up on how these were faked a lot historically and in modern day. Does anyone have any info about my coin based on what is seen in these photos? Posting edge here as I know that can be one determining factor. 20200923_221830-0.jpg 20200923_221819-0.jpg

7. ColonialCoinsUK

ColonialCoinsUK Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem to match either of he 1815 Mexico fake 8Rs in Bob Gurney's 'Counterfeit portrait eight-reales' which is a good thing!

Although new counterfeits are being discovered all the time - I tend to focus on the smaller reales because of this although there seems to be plenty of fake 2 reales too.

Seattlite86 and Penny Luster like this.
  8. Snorlax93

Snorlax93 Active Member

This is a wonderful thing to hear haha, I know this type of coin is heavily counterfeited. Very happy with this purchase!

Penny Luster likes this.
  9. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

The reverse seems to have a die break around 8-10 o'clock. This is not terribly unusual since dies generally were used until they nearly fell apart.

Your coin was produced in Mexico City in the midst of the War of Independence, which ended in 1821. Given those turbulent times, necessity probably dictated the extended use of dies.

I'd say that coin grades about VF. It is nicely toned, with an even strike and generally good detail - just a fair amount of honest wear.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

At the very least get an accurate weight.

Draft saved Draft deleted