Got Carnyx?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Carthago, May 28, 2016.

1. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

The Gaulish/Celtic war trumpet was a wind instrument used in battle and perhaps special festivals by the Iron Age Celts. We can find them on many Roman coins because the Romans spent a lot of time fighting these tribes across the frontiers of the Republic and Empire. From what I've read, there aren't many Carnyxs (is that the correct plural spelling?) that are still surviving today.

Bibracte_Dumnorix.jpg

0rTCMW6.jpg

Imagine dozens of these things blaring at you from across a meadow as you stand in formation waiting close battle.

And some coins:

Julius Caesar. Denarius, mint moving with Caesar 48-47, AR 3.88 g. Female head r., wearing diadem and oak-wreath; behind, TII. Rev. CAE – SAR Trophy with Gallic shield and carnyx; on r., axe. B. Julia 26. C 18. Sydenham 1009. Sear Imperators 11. Crawford 452/2.

Caesar Denarius Trophy Rev 2 Heritage.jpg

M. Furius L.f. Philus, Denarius 121, AR (19mm, 3.56g, 3h). M·FOVRI·L·F Laureate head of Janus. Rev. Roma standing l., wearing Corinthian helmet and holding sceptre, crowning trophy flanked by a carnyx and shield on each side. To r., ROMA and in exergue, PHLI. Babelon Furia 18 var. Sydenham 529 var. Crawford 281/1 var. An apparently unrecorded variety (no star on reverse before Roma’s head).

M Furius Lf Philus NAC 13.jpg

Please share your coins with a Carnyx on them!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Was it like the draco?

4. Carthago

I believe so. According to the all knowing Wikipedia, the Deskford Carnyx in Britain may have been a draco because it was made of Bronze.

I clearly know very little if I'm relying on Wikipedia. :bored:

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Four carnyces on three coins:
    ra1540bb0021.jpg ra1630fd2763.jpg ra1900bb0411.jpg

6. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

I've put stuff on Wiki, so....no you can't trust anything there. :angelic:

However, I did not know what a Carnyx was before your post. Although if the question arose on Jeopardy, I would have gone with "what is the street term for Art Carney's larnyx?" since "Someone who has never been in my kitchen" seems to been taken already.

TIF and Carthago like this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Awesome => my next dog is gonna be named ''Carnyx"

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  8. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

A few Carnyces:
    281.1.combined.JPG
    AR Denarius(19mm, 3.86g). Marcus Furius Lucii filius Philus, moneyer, 119 BC, Rome mint. Laureate head of Janus;around, M·FOVRI·L·F, Border of dots. / Roma (wearing Corinthian helmet) standing left, holding sceptre in left hand and crowning trophy with right hand; above, star; behind, ROMA upwards; the trophy is surmounted by a helmet in the form of a boar's head and flanked by a carnyx and shield on each side; in exergue, (PHI)LI. Crawford 281/1, Sydenham 529, RSC Furia 18, BMCRR (Italy) 555

282.4.combined.jpg
    Roman Republic AR denarius(21mm, 3.73g). L. Licinius Crassus, Cn. Domitius Ahenobarbus and associates, 118 BC. Narbo, Gaul mint. L·POM – P – ONI – C NF Helmeted head of Roma right / Bearded warrior in fast biga r., holding shield, carnyx and reins and hurling spear; in exergue, L·LIC·CN·D(reverted)OM. Crawford 282/4. Sydenham 522a. BMCRR 1193. RBW 1109.

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

ancient2faceb.jpg ancient2face.jpg

Dawg!! => you snuck that baby in just before the buzzer!! (I like you)

Oh, but I have this sweet puppy ... it's a double dawg!!

junius brutus bx.jpg

cheers, coin-bro

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

L COSCONIUS MF.jpg
    L COSCONIUS MF ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Denarius Serratus
    OBVERSE: Helmeted head of Roma right, L . COSCO . M . F around, X behind
    REVERSE: naked Celtic warrior (Bituitus), brandishing a spear & holding a shield & carnyx, driving a racing biga right, L LIC CN DOM in ex.
    Struck at Rome, 118 BC
    3.72g, 19.13mm
    Cosconia.1. Cr.282 / 2
    M FURIUS Lf PHILUS.jpg
    M FURIUS Lf PHILUS ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Janus; M•FOVRI•L•F around
    REVERSE: Roma standing left erecting trophy, gallic arms around, ROMA to right, PHLI in ex.
    Struck at Rome, 119 BC
    3.81g, 18.35mm
    Crawford 281/1, Syd 529, BMCRR (Italy) 555, Furia 18

11. Carthago

Great additions coin friends! Spork, that flan on your Crassus et al is like a freaking manhole cover! Right on! :woot:

Edited with illustrations for our non American speaking friends:

manhole_cover.jpg

stevex6, Jwt708, red_spork and 3 others like this.
  12. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I can't provide a carnyx, but what RIC describes as an "asses head" I think is a draco
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Trajan Decius (Augustus)
    Coin: Silver Antoninianus
    IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG - radiate, draped, & cuirassed bust right
    DACIA - Dacia standing left, holding draco standard (or vertical staff surmounted by ass's head) -
    Mint: (249-251 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 4.07g / 22mm / -
    References:
    • RIC 12b
    • RSC 16
    Can't figure out how to do strikeout.

zumbly, stevex6, Alegandron and 7 others like this.
  13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Fabulous posts everyone!!!

rr quinarius c cloelius-- marius and teutones cimbri.jpg

zumbly, Bing, ancientcoinguru and 3 others like this.
  14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Always love a carnyx thread! Those low growly notes the guy on youtube gets out of the instrument are fierce and ominous. The cacophony of a dozen carnyx players in your advancing legion would definitely strike some fear into your enemies!

Alegandron and Carthago like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted