Got a New Slave Token 1846, Well New To Me!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Feb 25, 2020.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here it is, I've always wanted one, so one day I was prowling ebay and blamo! It became mine!!
    slave 1.jpg slave 2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well now that's slap cool. Being a South Carolina boy I have wanted one of the tags. I have seen them before and they look rather like crude dog tags. If you have ever visited the state there is a mile long marketplace just off the harbor in Charleston. These days it is a very chique shopping place. Back in the day it is absolutely where they brought the poor souls off the ships and sold them away as slaves.... It isn't a proud piece of history, but it is history nonetheless...... Cool pick!

Mike185, fretboard and Inspector43 like this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I bought and sold seven or eight of these tokens when I was dealer. They are not overly scarce, but finding a really nice one is a challenge. The story is, a large number of them were dumped in the Charleston Harbor and brought up some time later. As a result, many of them are cleaned and show water damage. I had one nice one when I was dealer, but I sold, only for a few bucks more than the run-of-the-mill piece.

Yes, Charleston was major slave trading center prior to the Civil War. There is a slave museum located where one of the auction houses was in business. It is an interesting, but depression place to visit.

fretboard likes this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice find. I've been looking but nothing has suited me, yet.

7. fretboard

Yes, just to be clear that was a terrible time in US history for sure!! Not sure who started capturing and selling slaves but it was a truly a disgraceful time in our US history!

Mike185 likes this.
  8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I think thah there slaves in Jamestown, the first successful British settlement in America. The Spanish were no better. They enslaved the native Indians to work in their gold and silver mines for them. And before you think that the Africans were innocent, some them enslaved and sold their own people.

Human cruelty is not limited to one race or country.

Randy Abercrombie and Mike185 like this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It is a nice token, and an auctioneers token, and it is from south carolina, and the auctioneer may have, in fact probably did, auction off slaves at some point, but I wouldn't say that makes this a slave token.

10. fretboard

True, but if I just called it an auctioneers token it wouldn't have any bling! laughhard.gif

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted