Got a cheap coin....post auction sale/ Heritage

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Jan 25, 2018.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Beys of Tunis
    Muhammad al-Sadiq with Sultan Abdul Aziz (Ottoman Sultan)
    AV 5 Piastres AH1288 1871AD Tunis Mint
    Price $240:happy: lf (90).jpg lf (91).jpg lf (90).jpg lf (91).jpg

tibor, Numismat, dlhill132 and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I think you and I have different definitions of cheap... Neat coin though!

4. panzerman

Its the cheapest coin that I have won from auctions in past twenty years:happy:!

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I did chuckle when the cheap coin thread was a gold coin lol.

MontCollector and Kentucky like this.
  6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

which KM# is it ? is it KM#170 ?

7. panzerman

its KM#169 (my Krause book Gold coinage from 1600-2008) Its outdated for prices!

spirityoda likes this.
  8. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

I don't seem to see a listing for the price for MS64 for this coin on NGC (only XF for $140)... and, No Offense, but I'd just really call it Bullion. If it was brought into the Coin Shop I work in, we'd give you $30 for it. Truly.... not trying to offend, just stating the truth! The gold value of it today is $38.33.

panzerman likes this.
  9. panzerman

If you are into coins as a investment, you would consign your coins in future to a auction house like Stacks/Heritage/ Kunker....for top $.
    I collect for the sheer enjoyment the hobby brings, so look at it in a different light. I would call collector coins bullion, if they are very poor quality/ or your typical bullion stuff like SA Krugerrands/ Mexican restrikes/Canadian Maple Leafs. However, collector coins that are "mintstate", quality will always command premium prices. If the demand is high, supply is low....very high prices over catalogue value. US coinage was vastly over priced, hence prices have dropped dramatically over past 10 yrs., world prices keep escalating due to market trends, low supply, but that is for material struck 650BC to around 1918.
    John

tibor and Trish like this.
  10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That's a cool little coin, and a great price for it! Always nice to pickup a little extra something!

panzerman likes this.
  11. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

If I lived near Dallas I would buy from your shop but not sell to it!

Buying rare world gold in MS at a small premium over bullion seems like a good strategy. With folks like you melting rare Ottoman coins I feel the numismatic value could increase. This coin has a numisma.com rarity rating of 100.
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces56459.html

I have a friend who collects world gold and it is always fun to see him pull out stuff like this when everyone else collecting world is showing off AU farthings.

12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

oh ok KM#169, .900 gold, weight- 0.9800g. or .0284oz. cool coin. :cool::cat::cat::cat:

panzerman likes this.
  13. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

Well, I'd never melt a gold coin, FYI. We'd probably sell it for $50 or less, as well. I am just saying that the people that run the shop wouldn't see it as a premium. Very few coin shops, unless specializing in Foreign Gold would see it as anything other than bullion. Again... NOT trying to upset anyone at all.

panzerman likes this.
  14. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

Pretty coin! Exotic!! Some see the OP coin as a dubious acquisition as the preciousness of the metal comes into play. Well now fellow collectors I can top this one for dubious. Check it out! Ahhh Princess Grace! Rainier III and Grace.jpg

Trish and panzerman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted