Gordian III

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stainless, May 31, 2011.

1. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

My newest piece:

[​IMG]

Gordian III
    Struck 238-239 A.D. AR Antoninianus. (4.10 gm)
    Obverse: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: LAETITIA AVG N, Laetitia standing half-head left, holding wreath and rudder
    Reference:RSC IV 121; EF

I may have paid slightly overboard...so I ask you, how much would you expect this coin to go for?

stainless

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

In that condition and a fair price, about $60-$70. Its a great looking coin. I assume you paid in the high $40's :p

4. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

I assume you were watching the auction :p

stainless

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I think I paid $30ish for mine which was a good deal, and yours is better than mine so $60-70 wouldnt be bad at all.

edit; BTW sweet addition!

6. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

vcoins are running these (in this condition) $100-125. So I should be able to put an estimate at $75 I guess. I paid $51..not too bad.

stainless

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

:p

I should have 2 ebay goodies arrive tomorrow :D

8. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Here's my only Gordian III Roman coin:

[​IMG]

Gordian III AR Antoninianus - Hercules
    Radiate draped bust right
    IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG
    Hercules standing right leaning on club set on rock
    VIRTVTI AVGVSTI
    Struck: AD 241-243, Rome mint
    Size: 23mm x 21mm
    Weight: 4.34gm
    Catalog: RIC 95

Gordian looks kind of surprised on this one.

:)

9. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Beautiful coin stainless, wonderful portrait and great strike, well centered.
    Gordian III is a great emperor to collect coinage from, there is alot of variety. I have several antoninianii of his, one denarius, and a couple Antioch Tetradrachmai. Plus you can collect the Antoninianii from Antioch and his somewhat scarce Tetradrachmai, which I really like.
    These two are my favorites of all of mine, the first is a 'VICTORIA AUG' 'Victory advancing left' reverse with a very interesting bust, the second is an amazingly well centered and large flan 'VICTORIA AETERNAE' with Victory standing resting her shield on the back of a captive on the reverse.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The first two pics:
    This one was sold as being from an 'Eastern Mint' I am pretty sure now it is just an early Rome mint issue, the bust is quite different than most though, there is a small scratch or nick on the imperial ear, but a unique bust type, and nice large flan aswell... plus I love the reverse. BE SURE to englarge the second photo, it's a beauty.

Gordian III AD 238-244 - Silver Antoninianus - AD 238.
    obv: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG - Radiate bust right, draped and cuirassed.

rev: VICTORIA AVG - Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm.

Weight: 5.49 grams
    ------------------------
    ------------------------
    The third, fourth and fifth pics:
    This one I love just for the size and strike of the flan, very large and extremely well struck, and amazingly well centered.... even if the reverse is a little weakly struck, it well makes up for it, and is one of my favorite coins.

Emperor Gordian III (238 - 244 AD)
    Silver Antoninianus, Rome Mint.

obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG - Radiate, draped & cuirassed bust of Emperor right.
    rev: VICTORIA AETERNA - Victory standing left, holding palm & resting right hand on top of shield set atop a captive.

Weight: 5.10 Grams, 25mm

RIC 156
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are my favorite Gordian III coins that are in my collection, the last two obverse pics of the second coin have a bit of a gold tone that is from the lighting used. I don't usual reveal what I paid for coins on here in public, but I will say that for the first one 'VICTORIA AUG' with the interesting bust, I paid $29. USD, and for the superbly well centered one I paid $40. USD... it was a while ago though, but not too long.... needless to say even years ago they were both very good deals I think....

10. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Thanks guys.

Actually rex, the centering was the only thing that did bother me somewhat. It's not badly centered, so I don't care..just wish it had the full circle.

stainless

11. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Gordian centering..... anchor...

Well having a full circle like the VICTORIA AETERNAE Gordian Ant I posted from my collection is a bit uncommon on the market these days, unless you are willing to spend alot, even on some of the more common coin types.... I think alot of the nice, very well centered ones are in private collections, just a guess.... and that a great majority were struck slightly off center, something our US mint wouldnt allow today unless it slipped by the inspectors, and as we know, they sometimes do.
    Your Gordian LAETITIA AUG N - Silver Ant is very nice, I like it alot.... I still don't have any coins with Laetitia... yours has great portrait detail(note the ear above the radiate crown, rather than the two being worn down to the same height) and in fact well centered compared to many... I always liked how she holds the top of an anchor on the reverse....

Here are one more coin of my Gordian III collection, my SALUS AUGUSTI denarius. Struck in AD240 as a part of 6 denarii types to commemorate a wedding of the Emperor if I am not mistaken, one of the last major issues of the denarius for circulation.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    ....quite off subject, but take a look at this childhood pic of me from Pearl Harbor on the island of O'ahu, Hawaii, standing in front of an Anchor... I also can't add that childhood pic without adding the one of me next to a projectile from a large battleship.. 1,200 some odd pounds of weight in that projectile alone, plus it says 'Explosive: ST104 pounds' I assume that is the explosive inside the projectile itself for when it impacts... the weight not counting the propellant, that would be loaded below the projectile in the battleship gun, which if I read correctly says to use 420pounds of propellant, so the one I am standing next to is just the projectile for the battleship's gun..... I think this one was taken in Texas actually.... I used to have this blonde hair... no longer, all brown now, no sign of blonde. I was very young in the one with the projectile, and a bit older in the firt one with the anchor... maybe 12 yo or so.... heck of an anchor though, no? and check out that chain! I forget what ship it was from, but I think it was salvaged and refurbished from one of the ships sunk by the Japs..... these two are old photographs that I took digital camera pictures of, but came out okay. I loved that trip to O'ahu and Pearl Harbor, even being so young.

Attached Files:

12. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Thanks everyone for sharing and attributing the coins. It gives me an incentive to learn more, for example, about Laetitia:

http://www.thaliatook.com/OGOD/laetitia.html

g.

13. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

My further research on the coin's reverse image of the goddess Laetitia--Roman goddess of Joy, Gaiety, and celebration--has led me to this excellent numismatic-related resource of another Laetitia. Beautiful name. Beautiful coin. Beautiful goddess. Coincidence? I don't think so. :devil::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-GFHo27Ky0&NR=

g.

14. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Heh, anything that inspires someone to learn more about any given subject is a good thing ;)

15. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'd like to say it's a nice piece the problem is I can't see it . LOL I'm sure it's nice if you got it though .

16. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Wow cool , must of been a problem with the signal , great looking piece . Love it .
    Rusty

Draft saved Draft deleted