Gordian III Provincial As

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I agree with Gil. Nice coin!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Similarity with my GIII Denarius...Lady Luck

I noticed with this Prov As of G3 and his little lady the reverse shares the same reverse god as on my denarius. I am sure this is no surprise to the long time Roman collectors.

Initially without reading the text and looking at the post coin I thought it was Aequitas. I see you guys determined this coin has Tyche or Homonoia on the reverse. I wonder how subtle the difference has to be, for this to be a different god. Aequitas is shown here on my coin and most others with scales. I see yours has apparently no scales unless they are worn? I mean I am no expert but that intrigues me. The clothing the headware appears identical and the position of the goddess. In the context of the obverse, I suppose you guys are right, it makes more sense that it is either Tyche or Homonoia. I really don't know enough about Roman religion know if all three are related or are infact the same goddess, or if this is more of a Greek interpretation seeing as though me School me please.

Gordian III
    c. 240 AD
    Rome Mint 3.41g 23mm
    Obverse: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG Gordian III radiant, draped bust and cuirassed bust right

Reverse: AEQUITAS AUG Aequitas Standing left, scales in right hand, cornucopia left.

Attached Files:

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sorry, but I am merely trying to learn how to reply, "properly" ...

=> here is my first attempt at a smiley-face:

:dead-horse:

I have chosen the classic => "beatin' a dead horse" ...

=> and now I will attempt the rarely attempted photo include => genius dog, kissing dolphin:

dolphin.jpg

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

all systems go stevex, good to see you again!

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I see you're learning your way around Jerry. So am I. A little different that the other forum. Lots of potential here.

7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Nice photos steve. I'd like to know more about Bing's reverse. I mean that in a platonic way of course.:devil:

8. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted