Gordian III - Plentiful, Beautiful, and Cheap

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, May 29, 2020.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I used to carry a worn Sestertius of Marcus Aurelius, which became "cumbersome", but purdy fun to show.
    upload_2020-5-30_18-16-58.png

My pocket piece NOW is easier to tuck into one of the pockets of my wallet, and is fun to show someone that this coin is over 2,000 years old:

(Sometimes they say, "Oh, WOW!"... sometimes they just say "oh".)

upload_2020-5-30_18-14-37.png
    PHOENICIA TYRE
    AE20
    OBVERSE: Turreted head of Tyche to right, palm branch behind
    REVERSE: Galley to left, prow terminating in volute, aphlaston at stern, NA (= 76/5 B.C.) and Tyre monogram above over IEΡAΣ [AΣNΛON] in monogram above, Phoenican letters below
    Tyre 76-75 BC
    7g, 20mm
    BMC 26, 255, 254
    Ex: @Bing

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I have found that some people have a hard time understanding just how long 2000 years ago actually is. The reaction I get from a Byzantine coin or even an 1800's US coin is usually bigger than one when I show a coin from BC. Weird.

Justin Lee and Alegandron like this.
  4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

We raised 3 of each. Boys are so much easier.

Justin Lee and Alegandron like this.
  5. Alegandron

I usually have to say to someone from the West, that the coin was made Before Christ. When I showed coins to folks when I was in China, I would tell them this coin is as old as Emperor Qin Shi Huang (their first Emperor who united China).

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  6. Alegandron

Agreed! I was raised with all boys, cousins, friends, etc. My point of reference was so much different.

THEN, when I had girls, my WHOLE MENTAL process had to be revamped! Wow, did I have a life change!

Clavdivs, Inspector43 and Justin Lee like this.
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I've got 2 boys and 1 girl. My girl, who is 4, is already more of a handful than the 9 year old.

8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Our son who lives on a small farm with a river bordering it.has been an avid hunter, fisherman, trapper, anything outside, has 4 granddaughters. from 3 years old and down. They all go hunting and fishing with him. And they love it. He has a heated and airconditioned Ranger with child safety seats, enough for all of them. He was disappointed at first. Now he is really enjoying being a grandpa.

Draft saved Draft deleted